Has anybody here successfully quit smoking cigarettes after being diagnosed?

I know smoking is common among schizophrenics, but I see a lot of people trying to quit and I myself am trying hard. I was curious if anybody here has done it, as some success stories might help give me the push I need! Also, if you did quit, how soon after did you notice health benefits?

3 Likes

I quit smoking by first switching to vaping then quitting that

2 Likes

I did quit once, for a period of four years, using a vape pen for my cravings. By the time I was through with the one disposable vape pen, I was able to stop all nicotine altogether. That was before I was schizophrenic though.

Thanks for the response :smiley:

1 Like

I went the chemical route with champix. Worked really well and didn’t even finish the course. Been without cigs for over 10 years now.

1 Like

I quit just over a month now. Hoping to continue

1 Like

Yes yes and yes. 2 years ago

1 Like

It’s really important to quit in your lifetime when you are still fairly young. Think of all the money you will save as well. I felt like an outcast smoking. I’d be outside and I was the only one doing it.

1 Like

My cravings have cut down substantially since being prescribed buproprion. I’m excited at the prospect of socking away an extra 200-300 a month.

1 Like

I quit in July. I still use nicotine lozenges. I messed up and smoked the other day but I threw the pack away and didn’t start smoking again so I still struggle but it can be done. I feel tons better not smoking everyday. I can breathe a lot better. I don’t have a cough anymore. My allergies are better. My asthma is gone. I haven’t had to use my inhaler since I quit.

1 Like

I quit a week and a half ago. It’s going well and I’m using the patch.

2 Likes

Need to but still haven’t, ducking hate it at this point

1 Like

I use nictoex gum. but i still smoke 2 to 3 cigarettes per day. I find it too hard to quite smoking or nicotex. loneliness is the major reason for my smoking. I think a lot and becomes mad when i am alone. nicotex help me reduce stress…

I quit cold turkey and it lasted 18 months. I don’t remember feeling that different to be honest

The reason I started up again was I was at college and it was stressing me and I was heavily psychotic and needed to start back up again.

That was 8 years ago and I have smoked ever since.

I do need to sort it out again as it’s not healthy

1 Like

I cut back from 3 packs a day to one. Then bought mints, gum and toothpick supply. Used those as substitute to smoking.
I quit 40 years ago.

1 Like
  1. Throw away all your lighters, cigs, Vapes, etc
  2. Find a good friend to quit with
  3. Do it with them, cold turkey
  4. After a few weeks you’ll notice progress and you won’t want to smoke again
  5. Replace smoking with a healthy habit, like cologne or salads or even cleaning
  6. Patches and gum don’t help you will end up smoking again

Hope this helps - it’s how I quit 4 years ago :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I stoppede smoking 15 years ago and began instead to take swedish snus (big thing in scandinavia), today i use white nicotine pouches so i dont mis colour my teeths. They dont do as much damage as smoking, and gives a good buzz.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 95 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.