Guitar advice

I’ve decided to buy a guitar and teach myself how to play.

I bought one about a decade ago but ended up giving it to my dad because my life got crazy with work and I never had time.

Now I’m working remotely and have some extra time.

Anyone have any recommendations on a beginners guitar?

4 Likes

Yamaha makes a decent acoustic. They have one model that is just around the $300 mark, or you could buy something used. The most important thing is how it feels, not what it costs. I have an electric guitar and a bass guitar, both of which only cost $150 and they play like a dream

3 Likes

Thanks @Cragger.

I wasn’t even sure what makes a good beginners guitar.

I guess I should probably go to the shop and hold one rather than buy one online.

2 Likes

İ used to have fender stratocaster.it was good guitar.if you want to use your guitar also at electronic music fender telecasters are good too.i used to buy my stratocaster in america for 350 dollar.but it was 21 years ago.but i don t think price doesnt changed much for now.

1 Like

https://shop.fender.com/en/emea/start

1 Like

I started out playing on a acoustic guitar with nylon strings(classic guitar). The upside is that the strings are softer and easier to press and more comfortable for your left hand fingers, and also you can probably get a very decent guitar of this make for about 200$. The downside is that the neck of the guitar is often somewhat bigger than a acoustic guitar with steel strings, so if you have small hands that could be a issue.

But for me personally I think it was a good choice to start that way.

4 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

That’s a good tip @Mr_Hope. I didn’t even think of that and now I’m looking into it.

3 Likes

I loved my Fender 1994 Montara. It was a classic and a proper songwriters acoustic.

Sold it to a friend, and I regret doing so as it was a special guitar, and it’s probably ruined by now as he never looked after anything.

:confused:

All I used to do was play chords. Never really learnt any songs. Like to play a bit of Johnny Cash, but that was about it

1 Like

@anon1517417 , you might want to start out with a concert sized guitar. It’s a little bit of a smaller body than a full size guitar, and depending on the manufacturer they can sound beautiful.

But concert guitars are super comfy to hold and play. I actually prefer my Taylor GS Mini over all my other guitars.

Yamaha makes some great bargain concert guitars, great sounding and very reasonably priced.

Lessons might be a good idea to learn basic chords and basic music theory behind the fretboard.

YouTube is also a great source for learning songs and scales.

Let me know if you need any help. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

First of all decide whether you want acoustic, classical, or electric.
They’re all very different sounds/styles

Nylon (classical) is probably best for beginners as the strings are lightest, but if you don’t play nylon style you may not like how it sounds.
Acoustic is probably simplest to buy if you don’t want nylon because you don’t have to worry about an amp (which is an important investment in itself).
There’s nothing wrong with starting with electric but the amp is just as important as the guitar to get a good sound.

Generally safe bets are Yamaha and Squire.

3 Likes

start with steel strings, the sooner you build up callouses by playing five mins a day the better…steel strings are harder to hold down than nylon…if you want an easy playing guitar go electric…the action of putting down the string is a lot easier…and you get to play with special effects if you get a cheap amp with affects…

3 Likes

Pay for lessons. At least in the beginning. It will keep you from falling into bad habits.

2 Likes

I am a drummer but I looked on reverb and saw a set of Batman and joker limited edition guitars for 7500 dollars for both. They made them in 1989 when the Batman movie came out I want those so bad but I don’t play any guitar

1 Like

i have an old guitarr and play sometimes. its a good hobby.
Print out the chords on a paper is my tip.

4 Likes

I’d pay for lessons if you can. I didn’t pay for lessons and ended up not sticking with it. I bought a beginner guitar for $75 at Toys R Us. It was an adult sized guitar ( acoustic ).

2 Likes

I would highly recommend getting an acoustic as your first guitarr personally. If you can play acoustic, electric will come easily for you

Regarding ease of play in the beginning, you can always use extra light strings.

Also, you have to consider what style of music you want to play. If you are looking to play Neil Young and John Denver acoustic songs, that is the way to go. If you want to play simpler two-finger chords along to rock and roll, you might want to invest in the electric

3 Likes

Thanks for the advice everyone.

I ended up getting a 5-string banjo. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

It seemed like the easiest to get started on and a lot of fun too.

Then maybe I’ll move into the guitar.

4 Likes

@anon1517417 very cool. My first girlfriend’s dad gave me a banjo years ago, but I never learned how to play it. I’m not even sure where it is now

A buddy of mine can pick it like lightning

1 Like

I have a classical guitar. It’s a Yamaha. I love it.

4 Likes