Going off antipsychotics

[quote=“Schwann, post:1, topic:238641”]
is
[/quot

At first no but then after a few months I had grandiose ideas which slowly got worse, after a year I thought I was Jesus etc a year later I was hospitalized after my parents called an ambulance.

1 Like

I’m worried that if I see another doctor they won’t diagnose me either because I am not currently actively psychotic. It feels like for anyone to believe me and confirm the schizophrenia diagnosis, I will need to be in a psychotic state. Which is where coming off meds comes in…

I wasn’t aware of that.
Might be worth a try, if you think the current doctor is wrong, before you stop medication.

1 Like

I had a Pdoc once that said I no longer needed meds, went off, ended up throwing out everything I own again , then to hospital

1 Like

That sounds very bad. How long was it between going off meds and ending up in hospital?

1 Like

I was off meds for about 9 months and did a lot of damage financially

1 Like

Honestly, it would be lovely to have my doctor tell me I don’t need my APs any longer. If you have a medical doctor taking the lead here, you’re being titrated off properly, and there is medical supervision, give it a shot! This could be something that really improves your life.

3 Likes

Not a good idea… Good luck sending good thoughts and good vibes your way

1 Like

If only I had faith in my doctor being right though! The prospect is terrifying without that belief. I know I should consider myself lucky that my dr doesn’t think I have schizophrenia, but I just can’t bring myself to see it that way.

Same here.
When I was truly psychotic, I started throwing out my things until I had nothing but the clothes on my back.

2 Likes

You should be happy if you don’t have sz. You may still get symptoms but you don’t have to have a sz label to have symptoms of it. The symptoms are very broad and blend with other mental illness diagnoses.

I’ve had a lot of the symptoms of sz but my dx is bipolar 1 with psychosis.

The label just helps your pdoc treat symptoms

2 Likes

It’s the other people in my life I think the label will help, though it will help me by fostering some understanding. Everyone just thinks I will miraculously get better, when I know what I’m encountering is chronic. I can’t work and don’t think I will ever be able to again and there’s an expectation that I will be back at work soon. I don’t want the people in my life to keep hoping for the impossible.

1 Like

My pdoc took me off meds in October 2018. I went to emergency a few times and spent a month in one hospital and 10 days in a second hospital. I was really crazy. Taking someone off meds is risky.

1 Like

Hi, I have psychotic depression and my doctor thinks my PD is chronic and therefore has a high chance of relapse. Depression can come back, too. I would get a second opinion.

1 Like

Hey that really sucks. Did it take time after you came off meds to get to that point or was it quick?

My doctor thinks I’m still depressed and keeps upping my antidepressant. I think it’s the negative symptoms of schizophrenia rather than depression. I really like my doctor- I just think he has it wrong. Maybe a second opinion is the only way forward, but I just feel like it would lead nowhere since I don’t currently have psychotic symptoms.

My doctor also made that mistake and I relapsed. I had some leftover olanzapine so I took that, and I felt fine after a few days. I don’t know, I don’t want you to risk your health by proving him that you need APs.

I have really bad depression, but my doctor doesn’t want to risk upping my dose because he believes I am on a dose that’s very high for my body. I would advocate for yourself. Seriously, you don’t have to risk your health to prove your doctor.

1 Like

Yeah, it is a risk. You never know if you are going to relapse. But like I said, lifelong drugs is not something you want to endure if you don’t have to. I’m stuck with lifelong drugs almost certainly because I’m schizophrenic. You may not have to be. I dunno, it’s your decision but I would try it, under your doctors supervision of course, where a relapse will hopefully be picked up upon quickly and corrected if it were to occur.

2 Likes

I’m definitely leaning towards giving it a go even though it is terrifying. I see my psychiatrist fortnightly so any problems will definitely be addressed quickly. I had a lot of problems sleeping before antipsychotic meds (olanzapine), so it will be interesting to see how that goes too. I see him tomorrow so I have to be brave and talk it all through (I’m very quiet during appointments- poverty of speech).

1 Like