Going off antipsychotics

Story time? I was diagnosed with psychotic depression in 2004 and was put on abilify and cymbalta. It worked great. So great, in fact, that my doctor when I went to university was skeptical that I needed it at all. He let me stay on it for s few years, but in 2011 he told me it was time to stop taking it because I clearly didn’t need it anymore since I hadn’t had symptoms if depression or psychosis in several years. So I went off it. Two ish weeks later I was so psychotic I was in the hospital and lost my job. We lost our ability to pay the rent and had to move in with my in-laws. I was in and out of the hospital every few weeks for the next 2 years trying med after med and nothing worked. It took me almost 4 years to find a med combo that actually kept me out of the hospital for more than a few months. I still haven’t gone more than 2 years without having to be admitted. It’s awful. Nothing has ever worked as well as Abilify did that first time I was on it. And I’ve tried to go back on it 4 times since then and it’s never worked and always gives me terrible side effects now.

So, yeah. Get a second opinion. Or don’t, I’m not your dad. But this is a huge, potentially life changing, decision you’re making. Don’t do it out of spite.

3 Likes

I spoke to my doctor today and he is going to reduce my olanzapine from 10 to 7.5 and leave it at that level for a month. A reduction done this way seems lower risk so fingers crossed I don’t lose my ■■■■ straight away. I’m morbidly curious.

1 Like

What is PD? 1515

Psychotic depression

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.