Coming off medication

Has any one ever successfully come off of antipsychotics?

Surely there must be someone???

There must be some hope? Even just one person who has just tapered off???

1 Like

ZombieMombie has recently come off antipsychotics, but she did it after several years and did it with a doctors approval and supervision.

2 Likes

How many episodes had she had? I’ve had two. But can’t give up hope yet.

I don’t know. She’s probably still asleep but maybe you could ask her for advice when she wakes up later.

1 Like

My current pdoc reviewed my case when he got me and told me he thinks my psychotic symptoms were caused by chronic insomnia. So he focused on treating the insomnia and started tapering me down from my AP. It has been nearly 10 months now and I have so far gone down from 80 mg to 2.5 mg. My symptoms have not returned so far. I am taking other meds to regulate my sleep, as well as using a C-pap machine and maintaining strict sleep hygiene rules. I’m not allowed to be in my bed after 7 AM or before 9 PM, no naps allowed, I need to exercise every day, etc.

5 Likes

That’s good you’re getting the chance to come off of medication.

How many episodes have you had?

So you are no longer diagnosed with a psychotic disorder? From what you’ve explained on other occasions you’ve been quite unwell in the past, even becoming homeless. What is really a sleep disorder all along? I’m glad by the way that you’re getting effective treatment now.

I’m been off APs practically for a year now. I have my issues but as long as I look normal in public and don’t pose a threat to myself or others I don’t see the point of going back on them.

3 Likes

How many episodes have you had?

Who are you asking?

I wish i could go off them.
But it doesn’t seem like an option now

1 Like

Was asking you? I’ve had two and hoping to come off again

1 Like

I came off meds for 2 years. But it caught up with me, and I ended up in hospital completely psychotic.

1 Like

Not good 151515

1 Like

No episodes at all.

1 Like

Oh, hoping to find some one who’s had two and was fine after

1 Like

There’s always going to be a window of people who are off meds for short periods of time. (Less than 2 years)

They generally don’t come back to announce that they’ve had to go back on meds though.

2 Likes

This illness is dreadful. I can’t believe it’s happened to me. I’ve lost my partner of 11 years and am now living on my own.

I have hardly any joy or emotion.

I’m struggling at work and at risk of being homeless.

I don’t feel like me anymore

3 Likes

Yeah, that all sounds about right.

1 Like

I managed 5 months off of aps before. Maybe I could do better this time? Had a lot of stress and crashed into psychosis after coming down on my ad.

So if I stay on ad and quit ap maybe I’ll be okay?