Going off antipsychotics

So I’ve decided to go with what my doctor wants: to come off antipsychotics. My doctor doesn’t think I have schizophrenia but I know I have it. I guess by coming off the drugs which have kept me sane there will be an opportunity to demonstrate that my doctor is wrong. I’m not looking forward to what is to come but I feel compelled to arrive at the truth.

4 Likes

I don’t even recall you being on this site.

good luck.

1 Like

You could always get a second opinion. Chance is that if you quit aps you’ll need a much higher dose of aps afterwards to be stable.

4 Likes

Don’t risk it.
I wouldn’t

1 Like

Don’t do it just to prove
your psychiatrist that he’s wrong

1 Like

It’s more than proving him wrong, being undiagnosed is doing my head in. I can’t work or do anything ‘normal’, yet there’s this constant expectation that I will recover when I know I can’t.

5 Likes

I would go see a different doctor.
Coming off meds could prove disastrous!

1 Like

I feel like other doctors won’t believe me either- it’s so exhausting. I really want the diagnosis so my struggles with negative and cognitive symptoms make sense. My partner and family also need to understand how severe my condition is - everything gets dismissed as anxiety and being too hard on myself (they seem to be in denial). This is not going away and it may get worse without medication, but it may bring me closer to my truth.

1 Like

Where are you from Schwann?
I find it really odd that one doctor would suggest you have a condition, and another would remove your medication and say that you don’t.
I feel like they are making a huge gamble on you. I feel sorry for your predicament.

2 Likes

Have you ever been diagnosed with anything? From what I remember of your posts, you were trying to get diagnosed but not having much luck?

2 Likes

sounds like a bad thing to do huh… comming off your meds completely… but if you really have to then there is nothing you can do i gues… i would talk to another pdoc also though.

1 Like

What symptoms do you have when you’re not medicated?

I’ve been diagnosed with psychotic depression and the doctor thinks I could come off antipsychotics now because the depression has lifted.

2 Likes

I personally would kill for the chance to be med free if I thought it was possible without going psychotic. Maybe your doctor is right? It’s a risk but if it were me, I would take it. Like someone else suggested…a second opinion might not be a bad idea.

3 Likes

Delusions of reference, voices, hallucinations that I’m seeing people

1 Like

I’d be afraid to stop my medicine if I were you. I really hope it turns out ok

1 Like

There are dozens or psychotic disorders in the world. Most are temporary. Schizophrenia is the rarest and most severe. If your doctor thinks you have another disorder, it is entirely possible that you might be able to come off meds. But if you don’t agree, you can ask another doc, like others have said.

6 Likes

I think if your qualified person, your doctor, doesn’t have you diagnosed with schizophrenia and you think you do, then coming off the medication is a choice you’re making.

If you agree with that choice, then your taking your doctors advice, thereby agreeing you don’t have schizophrenia.

If you disagree and think you have schizophrenia, then I would see a different doctor (pdoc).

2 Likes

Not to scare you but my Dr took me off meds bcz I was doing so well, 5 courses/semester at university etc I relapsed after 2yrs and was hospitalized.

2 Likes

Did you have any psychotic symptoms in those two years before the relapse?

1 Like