Who Here is off of antipsychotics?

Who here is off of antipsychotics and for how long?

How many episodes have you had?

1 Like

I was off antipsychotics for 2 years. Then I ended up in hospital completely psychotic.

There’ll always be a cohort off meds. It means nothing.

It means there trying and hoping.

I only managed five months, but would try again. Even the moderators are trying……

1 Like

Have you only tried the once then?

I miss the odd dose of Seraquol now and again, if i wanna pull an all nighter gaming, but nah i wont come off them. I reckon i would get in a lot of hassle if i turned round and said i didnt want the monthly jab.

Im tempted, but im pretty sure i wouldnt like the outcome.

Its everyones right to quit them (if you have mental capacity) - but im still gonna call you silly if you do and you havent been stable for at least a couple of years.

3 Likes

Not all the mods.

@anon9798425 is no longer a mod.

@Ninjastar and I have different reasons for coming off our meds. And again, with a doctor’s help and approval.

3 Likes

I’ve only had two episodes and haven’t been diagnosed with schizophrenia yet. So I still have some hope of recovering.

Only on 5mg Olanzapine and doing okay thankfully.

3 Likes

With doctors help and approval is definitely the way forward. Must be exciting to feel the effects of dopamine again!

2 Likes

And also, I did NOT come off meds. My doctor thought my symptoms would be treated better with different medication. He switched me to a different medication.

2 Likes

True. I should have said I’m on a different med, as well. Antidepressants instead of AP.

4 Likes

No, I tried twice.

It was a huge mistake. Now I need 15mg abilify instead of 10mg.

1 Like

No but you have come off of antipsychotics, which must be exciting and scary. I understand that it is with doctors permission and that’s best.

I think twice is the right amount. How long did you last each time?

2 years the first time, the second time was a month. I recognised I was just going downhill, so went back on them.

Wish I managed two years…. Hopefully will do better next time.

Was there stress involved in each relapse?

1 Like

I want to ask my doctor about that but he will probably say to keep taking it :frowning:

1 Like

How many episodes have you had?

1 Like

Only one, i got misdiagnosed with schizophrenia so theres a chance i could come off them.

1 Like

I’m worse at two.

1 Like

The last attempt damaged my finances and marriage. Never going off meds again. I’ve worked my way down to what is basically a maintenance dose of Geodon so side-effects aren’t an issue now.

2 Likes