Going back to school mini rant

I’m going back to school for the first time in 3 years. I’ll be taking chemistry and either medical terminology or a psych class.

I’m nervous that I’ll be older than most of the students in my chem class considering it’s the most basic level chem. I’m not too much older but still. And I’m out of practice. I haven’t taken a test in so long.

Plus I still have to talk to my job and tell them I can’t work on Mondays and Wednesdays anymore. What if that can’t be accommodated and they let me go?

And I’m out of fafsa money so I have to pay for these classes on my own. I need to do more research on scholarships and grants.

Im such a nervous wreck. Wish me luck.

10 Likes

Sounds quite interesting :blush:

Best of luck with it all.

1 Like

Lots of students are older and out of practice. One thing you could do is first take a community Ed class at a community college on a topic that interests you to get back into practice at studying and doing homework. Best of luck to you!

2 Likes

I’m excited to start. Especially if I can take that medical terminology class. Thank you for the well wishes!

2 Likes

I finished university when I was 29y.o. Students with me were 19-23y.o although one or two were older than me. One guy who is an immigrant was a surgeon in his home country and was studying in my class and program of physiotherapy. I was friend with him. He was in his 40s and was married, have kids. He was very knowledgeable. I remember him telling me he just brought his kids to school before coming to class lol He helped in my studies too. I was in a team with him.

2 Likes

Good luck! @bittercat

1 Like

This is especially true at a community college which I will be attending. I guess I’m just afraid of looking old and dumb.

Thank you!

1 Like

That’s really encouraging. I’m 26 and will likely finish school when I am 30-31. Did people notice or treat you differently because you were older than them?

Also that’s awesome. Sounds like you had a good teammate. I hope I find a cool study buddy like that.

1 Like

No, they were nice to me.

1 Like

I went to community college in my thirties. My age was no big deal, there were other students of all ages. No one treated me bad or weird or anything.

1 Like

You won’t. I went to community college at an older age after getting my bachelor’s degree. It was no problem

1 Like

When I went back to school when I was 30 I just took two classes at a time. I hadn’t been to school for 6 years and my mom suggested taking one class at first just for fun to get used to being in a classroom and taking a P.E. class just to get used to being on campus. So when I went there I took a drawing class and a volleyball class. I did OK in those and then started taking one academic course and one P.E. course each semester. At one time or another I took weightlifting, volleyball, racquetball and tennis.

1 Like

I’m really glad to hear that. What degree did you go for?

1 Like

That seems to be the consensus. I’m now thinking that I may not even be the oldest person in the class haha!

1 Like

I went back to school at 45. There were people older than me in the class. One guy was in his 80s.

2 Likes

Humanities. I’m still working on it. I’ve skipped years of going to school. Now I take online courses and I need one more class to graduate which I’m already registered for in the Fall.

Im older than most of the people in my class… they don’t notice and don’t care. So don’t worry.

Things will work out… there might be ARP (covid) funding still that they can help with. Talk with them…

Your work will accommodate you. Good luck.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.