Getting more nervous about starting therapy on Monday

I’ve made a thread about it before,

But I’m starting to get really nervous about seeing a new therapist Monday.

She sent me new patient paperwork and it didn’t even ask about symptoms or medication.

That’s weird, right?

I checked on her website and it was all this new age bulllshit.

I just don’t feel like this is going to be right for me and I don’t want to go, tell her all my problems and then be embarrassed.

She probably sees people that have occasional depression issues, not schizophrenics in crisis.

Oy vey.

I don’t want to cancel the appointment because I want to give her a shot,

But I’m getting so nervous.

3 Likes

Give it one chance rex. Im sure ul pick up her vibes after the first one then decide.

2 Likes

I hate going to new therapist or pych doc’s you have to start all over again telling your symptoms and all that crap. Then they change everything up on your therapy. Pain in the ass.

2 Likes

I went to one like that, there was a few things that she said that helped me but ultimately she didn’t understand schizophrenia or my voices

1 Like

Hopefully she’s just a little crunchy in person, not full-blown granola.

It sucks having to go through the whole spiel of laying out your problems, but I suppose it’s that necessary first step.

Hope she ends up being a good fit for you, and good luck at your appointment!

1 Like

Do therapists there need a recognised qualification or can anyone call themselves a therapist ?

Anyway, give it a go. If you guys don’t click then you’ve lost nothing really.

1 Like

I know what you mean about being nervous @anon54386108.
I made an appointment to see this one Nutritionist in my area, she’s an MD but I’m very nervous about seeing her, it’s natural to have butterflies about seeing a new doctor.

I am debating whether I should cancel my appointment with her but I think it’s best to give her a chance, and the same thing should apply to your situation.

Good luck - all the best!

1 Like

Maybe you could go with someone to see her?
Especially for the first session.

My Dad plans on accompanying me to this doctor.

3 Likes

I think that’s a good idea,

But my husband has to work and I plan on talking a lot about my mother in law so I can’t take her.

I prefer to go by myself,

I’m just nervous because she’s new and she’s so out there,

You know, homeopathic type.

1 Like

This is definitely concerning. As is not asking about symptoms or medication.

If your insurance covers the visit, I suppose you could go once and just leave if it’s not for you. If you’re paying out-of-pocket, maybe think about whether you’re willing to potentially waste your money.

2 Likes

Yeah I’d be turned off by the homeopathic aspects to her methods as well.
Can you see someone else?

1 Like

I’d give it a go, at least once. My therapist is a little crunchy and I love her. She’s able to hear my out on some of my wildest symptoms and thoughts, and helps me process them. Her being a little crunchy was a route to be open minded about me.

If you two don’t click after that, then by all means find someone else.

Don’t be shy to scare the girl by being open about your symptoms. If she can’t handle it, then she needs to speak up. And please watch out for delusion encouragement. I’ve met some crunchy people who also believe I’m an angel.

Wishing you well Mr. Gable! I hope you can find what you’re searching for

1 Like

I can see someone else,

But it’ll be a long wait and I need to be seen now.

@Moonbeam, she doesn’t take insurance and it’s a $250 session.

So it’s a considerable risk if it doesn’t work out.

I wanna give her a chance so bad because she’s literally two blocks from my house, I’m walking to our appointment Monday.

Maybe it’s not worth it,

I’m not sure.

1 Like

Hang on she’s 250 for how long of a session and doesn’t take insurance?

What are her credentials? Her degrees and certs?

The session is an hour.

She has a PHD and she’s a chiropractor.

I don’t like that she’s a chiropractor too because I don’t like their homeopathic approach to illness.

We’ll see.

PHD in what? I wouldn’t trust an engineer with my head.

I don’t trust Dr. Phil, He has a PHD. Claims to be an expert of the mind and it’s in philosophy.

1 Like

I don’t know what her PHD is in,

She advertises herself as psychotherapist.

I’ll try to do more research before my appointment.

Maybe they have more details on her website.

2 Likes

Please be careful, I’m weary of this gal.

Wishing you well.

Her PHD is in psychology.

It’s on her website.

Still not 100% about her.

2 Likes

That’s the most expensive therapist I’ve ever heard of. It’s normal to be nervous when meeting a therapist or psychiatrist for the first time. I see the appeal of a close therapist but I think how she does her job outweighs in importance the factor of how close
she is.

1 Like