Found this in my psychology textbook. I'm bothered

I don’t think they should devote almost an entire page to spreading stigma.

2 Likes

Yeah, that doesn’t sit right with me either

2 Likes

Me either.Does it say anything about how common it is for sz to think their voice is real?

1 Like

Nope, just talks about murderers. There is also a section devoted to the theory that says sz act that way because their odd behavior is reinforced by attention from healthcare workers. Tbh I don’t think I’ve ever had a psychotic break for attention

5 Likes

I don’t see an issue with it. It’s just facts.

Did it state not all schizophrenics are violent? Or did it only discuss violence with the diagnosis?

1 Like

I just found it unnecessary. They didn’t talk about any of the other disorders like this. I have problems with other parts of this textbook in regards to sz but to each there own I guess.

1 Like

It only discussed violence with sz. No other disorder. Didn’t talk about stigma or recovery either, just disability and violence.

1 Like

It sounds like the author is ignorant. What do you think about writing him a letter and giving him the facts of the disease including the actual percentage who are violent. You could also inform him of the incidence of violence in other psychiatric disorders

2 Likes

I messaged him on linked in to chat but I haven’t got a response. I haven’t found any other contact

2 Likes

What’s the authors name?

1 Like

Spencer A Rathus

I have learned by trial and error that schizophrenics don’t always have an idea about what they are doing. I lose my memory when psychotic. I don’t realize what I am doing.

An unmedicated schizophrenic can be dangerous. And it took me years to be be med compliant. If it weren’t an issue there would be no need to mention it.

It’s rare. But these things do happen.

it bothers me too, thanks for the share.

1 Like

possibly the reasoning is that some of these people reading it are symptomatic?

Oh wow that’s disturbing. I would never hurt a person, but I was delusional a couple weeks ago and wanted to hurt someone, and I thought about it, felt like it was right and was actually afraid of myself for even getting close to. Luckily I haven’t ran into that situation and I think God helped me out. Plus when I got my shot, the nurse pulled up my paperwork from my therapist and asked what it was about… I realized then it sounded crazy.

3 Likes

I can’t find his place of employment. I was hoping he worked at a university so you could contact him there.
What you can do is contact the publisher.

3 Likes

the publisher is cengage learning. i couldn’t find any way to contact them other than snail mail

1 Like

Then I would write them a letter and send it snail mail. It’s worth it.

1 Like

yeah I think I will

2 Likes