For those with puppies or dogs, or are just bored

I think a few of us on here have puppies. I just thought we could do a pupdate and maybe ask eachother questions if we have them. Someone might have come across something useful that the others of us haven’t.

So my pupdate is that Smooch weighed 60 lbs at her check-up about 10 days before the 5 month mark. She’s officially spayed, microchipped, and has every dog vaccine known to man. She eats like a darned piranha. She’s learning to settle when cuddling in bed, and she gives kisses non-stop (and trust me, we have discouraged it). I named her too well, I guess. Anyhow, she likes car rides and is generally quiet when we’re in new places. Around our community, though, she barks loudly and often because she thinks she owns the whole place. She has a very, very big bark, so it’s a little off-putting to people she sees. I think she’s barking for attention. It’s what she used to do with Ghost when she was trying to get him to play. She has a training class coming up on leash manners, and I’m really hoping to curb the barking. If anyone has barking suggestions or suggestions to stop a dog from licking, I’m all ears. Once she starts full-on drooling, the kisses are going to get really sloppy, and I just don’t think everyone will appreciate that.

13 Likes

Our puppy was huge for her age when we first got her, but not so huge now. She’s 6.5 months old and weighs 50 pounds.

She wants so badly to play with my 13 year old Shih Tsu, but my Shih Tsu hates her. They get into it a lot as a result.

We hired an in-home trainer with 53 years of experience. With his help, our puppy is much better behaved. She learns insanely fast.

The only thing she tests the boundaries on is getting on the couch. If she notices we’re not looking, she’ll get on it and we have to correct her.

2 Likes

What breed(s) is your pup? I can’t recall… Is yours the golden?

I would love an in-home trainer, but I’m not comfortable with people in my home. We go to a local facility instead. I’ve spoken with a behaviorist about problem areas as well, but I haven’t met her in person; she’s affiliated with the training group we use.

We had an Aussie that would hop on the couch when we weren’t home. when she heard the door, she’d hop back off and act innocent. She was the reason I started dog training and eventually competition, actually. My favorite method ever is NILIF because of her. It actually worked, and I went on to do it with every Aussie. Before Aussies, we had Saint Bernards, and they weren’t well trained but were so inactive that you couldn’t tell. It was like having a bunch of dog rugs everywhere in the house lol.

1 Like

Our dog Missy is recovering nicely from spaying a few days ago…Max wants his woman back…she stayed in the kennel and in my wife’s bed for the first two days but she is back to eating and drinking normally and her old loving self. we have an elderly chihuahua that has taught us how to take care for him…hold him three times a day…feed twice morning and evening…takes a bathroom break every three hours…sheesh…haha

2 Likes

I feel ya on that 3 hr thing. Smooch can’t pee once, either. I think her magic number is 5.

1 Like

This is our Jojo. Shes a 5 month old golden retriever. She is so amazingly sweet and i feel so lucky to have her in my life. Shes doing really good with her training, and im hoping when she gets older we can train her to be my psychiatric service dog. I love my Jojo sooo much.

2 Likes

I have 2. War and Mavis. War is 8, Mavis is 2 and I’ve had her for about a month. She was meant to be my dog and has really become my girl over the past month.

I walk them together 3 or 4 times a day minimum. German Shepherds drink a LOT and have to pee a lot. I enjoy taking them out, it’s fun to get stares because I’m an average size woman walking two big dogs. My husband says I am the safest woman in town.

Today a couple stopped and complimented the dogs, asked some questions. That was nice.

Mavis

War

6 Likes

Cece after her walk. She’s about 8 or 9 months now.

3 Likes

This is my baby, Shadow. She’s almost 5 years old. She’s been a blessing in my life!

6 Likes

@anon4362788 I love GSDs! My sister had two, but they sadly passed. Just looking at Ghost, you might not think he’d be intimidating. He’s a fuzzy white pup, generally doesn’t make a peep outside. But boy, when someone walks past he gives them a very hard stare the whole time they are in his line of sight. And if someone comes in the home? Yep, he will growl and bark. It’s nice because it helps with my auditory hallucinations. I know that no men are downstairs because he’s quiet. And while I usually realize they are just hallucinations, my heart is pounding 10x faster than normal, and I am ready to call 911 because what if? He lets me know I’m safe. Smooch is friendlier and doesn’t stare at people, but she barks and I guess people consider her to be big.

I hope she can be your service dog, too. I knew Smooch wouldn’t be a good option for me as a service dog because of her breed, but I wanted an ESA mostly, in the hopes of helping me get out of the house. I was pretty spot on as she’s usually more interested in lying down than walking or doing something. Some people think giant dogs are bad in apartments, but Saints are great in small spaces because they are very good floor lumps and rugs. Ghost is energetic, but his type is very independent (ie stubborn) and is just as likely to pretend they don’t hear you as to do what you want. lol

1 Like

She looks exactly like an Irish Wolfhound.

We wanted the dog trained while being in our normal environment so we would know how to handle those situations.

We may opt for in store training later

1 Like

We found a place that specializes in CGC training and therapy dog groups.

Smooch, like all good heroes, has a fatal flaw though (well, three). 1. She barks. Like, a lot. 2. She’s so quick to go after food that she shouldn’t have. She thinks she’s starved. 3. She licks and will be a drooly dog who licks anytime now. Most people don’t like that, especially since she likes to snuggle necks.

1 Like

That’s stuff that if you put in a lot of work it can be controlled and significantly reduced.

1 Like

Yes, it can. Her barking is just for attention. That’s usually pretty straightforward. The eating, I have a trick up my sleeve, but I haven’t taught her “leave it” yet, so I need to do that first in case my plan goes awry. My Aussies always had to sit or down and wait before getting their meals. It gave me time to set the food down and move away before releasing them. I could have set a roast on the floor, and they wouldn’t have touched it without permission. The licking is the only thing I don’t know how to start with on my own. My Aussies picked up on our body language that we didn’t like it, and they were all quick to stop. Smooch just wants to share the love, I guess. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Sounds like you’re off to a good start. Hopefully you can find tips from a trustworthy, reliable source on the licking

1 Like

Oh, definitely. The group we’re training with uses an IAABC behaviorist. I am very fond of that particular organization.

1 Like

Great! How cool. You’re very lucky :slight_smile:

It may sound weird, but I’ve never seen an Irish Wolfhound in person. We cared for a deerhound for a short time for a friend, but no wolfhounds. I’ve only seen pictures.

1 Like

That’s not weird at all. Id never seen one in person before either