For all the schizophrenic men, how many girlfriends have you had?

For all those schizophrenic men on this forum, how many girlfriends have you had? Even if you’ve only had one or even none I would like to know. I, myself have not had a single girlfriend since I was diagnosed with schizophrenia living in fear of disclosure of my disease to her. I have had many friends, classmates and co-workers who are women but not a woman that I have officially introduced to my family.

My belief is that the longer us schizophrenic men live the single life, the more accustomed we are to living alone without a female partner. The same can be said of single schizophrenic women who are not in a stable loving relationship. A relationship will be more difficult to establish in life if we continue to be single. Just my opinion.

4 Likes

Dated three women post SZ diagnosis, married the last one. Met in May of 1999, married in July of 2000. Still married.

5 Likes

How old were you when you finally married the last woman you dated if I may ask?

I had a gf for 5yrs before sz. The 5th year things went downhill after she found out that I quit university and that I couldn’t hold a job for more than a week. Honestly I have other issues too, when it got serious between us, she wanted to marry me legally and she wanted me to live with her. I just couldn’t do it, I am too attached to my parents and I can’t live without them. She called me a big baby and said she doesn’t want me anymore.

3 Likes

I was thirty-one. Wasn’t really thinking of dating, but a friend in Alcoholics Anonymous nagged me to put an ad up on a free classifieds site. Kind of took off from there. I was seven years sober when we met.

4 Likes

Yeah, I am 43 now and it’s difficult to know what a “normal” relationship with a woman is like. Been single since 23 or 20 years later.

2 Likes

Ever think that you can get back to your physical attributes prior to the diagnosis of schizophrenia? Was your girlfriend of 5 years also a Middle Eastern woman?

2 Likes

Nill, but I liked few girls. One girl said she likes me finally, but did not know what to do after that as I was not sure.

Sz is messed up, I heard they never say is out but leaves clues and I am very poor in reading them.

Do they actually leave clues that they like men ? Or just my misunderstanding?

2 Likes

i’ve never had a girlfriend. yes it is harder getting with women the longer you are single as you get set in your ways. it’s hard to leave your comfort zone.

4 Likes

I don’t know if we’re normal? We probably aren’t because most of the people around us drink alcohol and go out for entertainment more than we do. We like being together quietly. When I met my wife it was like finding the last few pieces of the puzzle that is me. She makes me feel complete. Not everything is perfect and we have our challenges. Truthfully, we make each other crazy some days. I just can’t think of anyone else that I would rather have making me crazy.

:heart:

6 Likes

Yeah, I also have to admit that we men do not read the queues or signs of interest from women that they like us. We are just biologically wired that way in regards to relationships with women.

2 Likes

No I don’t think so. Now I can barely stay awake and get out of bed during the day. When I was with her I was diagnosed with sz a year after we met and I hid it from her. I disappeared to her when I went to mental hospital for a month, she txted me a lot saying am I dead or did something happen to me. I only told her about my sz after we broke up and she never replied to that txt message since then. She was half Irish half French-Canadian. My parents wanted me to date a middle eastern women they know from church.

2 Likes

Yes, your point is what I am attempting to illustrate when I first thought of posting this thread. We, single schizophrenic men are so used to living life alone, doing things alone and eating alone that we do not know what it is like to do stuff together with a woman, living together with a woman and eating together with a woman.

2 Likes

Oh, I appreciate your explanation of how you were able to avoid her concern while you were hospitalized. That was an interesting story. Yeah, I have noticed women of different ethnicities showing minor interest but it’s not my preference. Hey, you just might find another French-Canadian in Montreal if you pull yourself together.

3 Likes

Glad to read that your wife make your life complete. Many loving households have relationships that are caring and mutually beneficial to husband and wife. Here’s to another few more decades of life together with your wife until you two grow old together.

1 Like

Well even before sz I had problems in dating, I just had one gf in my life, started dating at 21y.o., got sz at 22y.o., but this relationship was messed up and not successful as even before sz I was too attached to my parents. Honestly idk what I will do after my parents die, I think about suicide a lot especially if my brothers don’t take care of me after my parents die.

2 Likes

You can learn to read body language, but it is not cheap:

1 Like

I’ve had a handful of dating relationships before meeting my current wife…I was married once before to another schizophrenic and it did not fare well…be up front online dating with women after a day or two about your illness…many will turn you away but the ones that accept it will make you feel much better about yourself…it’s not too late…there are free dating sites like plenty of fish dot com and that’s how I met my current wife.

4 Likes

The relationship was messed up and not successful? From my perspective any relationship with a woman is a “win” specifically if you are a schizophrenic man. There are just way too many single schizophrenic men on this forum and the polls support my claim.

1 Like

It depends on what you mean by “girlfriend”. I went steady with a few girls in elementary school and junior high, but I’ve only dated one girl steadily - four years. I can’t stomach that female stridency.

2 Likes