Food prices are not too bad

I bought tomorrow’s food and drinks today. The prices are quite good.

Meat pies (4) 1.65€
Cheese burgers (2) 2.99€
Orange juice (1 liter) 1.88€
Fat free milk (1 liter) 0.89€
Bread (10 slices) 1.19€

Total 8.60€

which is quite good. I did not buy sausage because the price of four sausages had risen to 3.39€, a year ago the price was still 2.5€.

Have you gone grocery shopping?

3 Likes

I go grocery shopping every couple of days. I go by foot to the store so can’t carry that much.

1 Like

I have two grocery stores within 300 meters of my place. I usually go to a larger one because the prices are lower there.

1 Like

My case worker brings me to the grocery store every Monday. I went this morning and spent $70. I bought some turkey and ham and some other things. I especially am looking forward to the peanut butter woopie pies.

1 Like

I also have 2 supermarkets in 5 min walking distance. The bigger ones are further away.

Since I’m a bit lazy I go to the more expensive ones nearby.

1 Like

I have only one 500g pack of coffee left in my storage. I need to find a new sale so that I could buy coffee inexpensively. I may need to ride to Lidl, it is on another side of the town, but I ride my bicycle there any way.

1 Like

I order my coffee online in bulk since it’s cheaper.
Last time I ordered 12 kg :grinning:

1 Like

Yeah, prices are still going up here. Only select items have gone down like lettuce and cauliflower. Those price spikes were caused by shortages and not inflation.

1 Like

Pretty much the way it is here. A few things came down, the most notable was the 30 pack of eggs that cost me $19 during that whole egg price mess is now $4.

2 Likes

A substantial portion of eggs in Canada come from British Columbia. The hen population was decimated there last year between widespread flooding and bird flu. They are finally getting the numbers back up so egg prices have stopped rising and dropped just a touch. I don’t think they will go down farther.

1 Like

Do people in your area raise backyard chickens? A lot of people here do, including me. They sell a dozen for $3 usually.

Mine are hiding the eggs. I get a chunk ever week or two when the kids find them.

1 Like

Things are still very expensive here…a gallon of milk is $5, a 12-pack of Pepsi is $10, and cherries are $7 a pound. I get food stamps but they don’t go very far. I’ve noticed that healthy foods (fruits and veggies) are much more expensive than, say, Mac and cheese. I’ve also been utilizing the local Food Bank a few times each month.

2 Likes

They passed the legislation in my town before the pandemic, but it got hung up somehow and people only started doing it this past year. So far as I can see it has caused all kinds of fights between neighbours between the smell and the noise. We’re not going to do it ourselves - it would take away from my camera time.

2 Likes

My neighbour had.chickens and they lay eggs. Sometimes he gives us some which is nice.

1 Like

I shop sales when I grocery shop. A flyer of ads from 4 stores gets put in my mailbox every Tuesday and it has all the best sales especially on the front page.

There’s usually good sales on meat that I take advantage of. Recent sales have been boneless, skinless chicken breasts for $2.99 a pound, or BOGO of chicken legs. I bought pork ribs on sale, 3 pounds for $1.99 a pound and I bought a 4 pound pack of New York steaks for $7.99 a pound. I only buy different cuts of meat when they’re on sale.

Strawberries are cheap this time of year I bought a couple of pounds of those. I did some grocery shopping on line yesterday and spent $93 total and saved $68 because of sales. That’s the beauty of online shopping, you can see everything on sale easily.

I discovered curbside pickup a couple of months ago and now that’s how I mainly shop. It’s like $1.99 for each order. Grocery prices are expensive but shopping sales keeps my monthly grocery bill down.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.