Prices are going up...it's very clear

almost 6 bucks for an eighteen pack of eggs…small thing of coffee 15 bucks…crap.

7 Likes

Can you compare shop. That’s what i do. Shop the cheapest from each store.

I know this is hard. The prices are ridicoulous. But this is what I have to do to buy food.

3 Likes

It’s nuts. $7/lb for butter here now. My wife is finally baking with margarine and in absolute agony over it. I found butter on sale for $4/lb (regular price last fall) and grabbed five of them. Feels like I have contraband in my freezer. Freakin’ bread is $4/loaf for the okay stuff. Premium bread is up to $7/loaf. So glad I bake my own.

6 Likes

funny you should say that…we buy frozen loaves of bread dough and have one rising right now…haha

1 Like

If you have room in your fridge you can mix the ingredients for dough a day ahead and then let it slow rise in the fridge for 24 hours. That develops the gluten instead so no kneading required.

3 Likes

We have a brand called “no name” that tends to be cheaper, we buy a lot of no name stuff.

We also have a store called Shoppers Drug Mart which sells stuff other than drugs. Thursday is seniors day 20% off everything that isn’t already on sale, so I take my parents every Thursday and we stock up on stuff.

We also stock up on stuff when it’s on sale in other stores.

There are ways to save and get by. Stuff like gas is killer though, no way around that.

4 Likes

We use the GasBuddy app. It warns you of pending increases and also shows the lowest price nearby. We are sometimes able to plan trips for maximum savings when there is a $0.10/litre difference in prices along the route.

2 Likes

Thanks, I’ll check it out!

2 Likes

Our local grocery store has a gas card for reduced gas prices. Get so much off a gallon for buying certain groceries.

2 Likes

In my supermarket I go to there is a ‘multipromo’ on most products, I.e. you get about a 30% discount if you buy multiple of the same product. I make use of that discount always.

3 Likes

Yeah and people are starting to steal cars in West Virginia. I’ve lived in this state my whole life and in the past year have heard of 2 instances of stolen cars. Whereas I’d never heard of such my whole life here.

1 Like

Catalytic converter theft has become a plague here. The newest thing is instead of crawling under and sawing it off, they hook a chain to your exhaust and it’s tied to the hitch on their vehicle. They drive off and rip the entire exhaust out of your vehicle and grab the converter a block away. Takes about ten seconds.

2 Likes

Bella’s cat food used to be 8 bucks or so. Now it’s 13 bucks. Gas is 3 .59 a gallon here. I think we. Will be up there eventually.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Yes and so does the crimerate. The poor are getting desperate.

Hopefully it is just temporary. There are bottlenecks in supply because of Covid. Once they are worked out things will get back to normal, hopefully.

1 Like

Its gonna get worse. There needs to be price protections on basics. Or government rebates.

Corporations still profit. Maybe profit less during a crisis.

1 Like

What a drag! These people don’t care how badly they have to hurt a person to get what they want. Another one I hate is these “smash and grab” crimes directed at stores. The perpetrators do terrible damage and cost the owner a LOT of money just so they can have a little beer. They’re also taking a chance of getting a felony on their record.

1 Like

I buy a lot of my groceries at Walmart. Their prices are very dirt cheap, typically.

2 Likes

Yep! Prices are nuts. Learn to love rice and beans or other cheap foods. Our town’s gas prices did fall back to $3.59\gal recently.

-S

3 Likes