Schizophrenia.com

First time driving in four and a half years

I just bought a car and today was my first time driving in like 4 years. I was having a panic attack thinking about being on the road again. Then I finally got into the car, backed out the driveway and I was fine. It felt really good actually. I thought I would only be able to go around the neighbour hood quiet streets till I got use to the road. But I was doing so good that that I decided to go to 2 grocery stores and also picked my medication up and got gas. I was so proud of myself. Next it will be a part time job or volunteering. Feels so good to be out and about again. Feeling independent. I am so thankful for the car and I pray I won’t have to fix anything on it for a long while. And I pray to be safe.

28 Likes

Great job! Sounds good!

2 Likes

A love of cars rivals that of dogs and of others…

1 Like

That’s so good! I’m very happy for you! What kind of work or volunteer work are you thinking about?

1 Like

What I really want to do is work with kids, but because of my schizophrenia I think maybe it’s best if I don’t. So I am thinking Personal support worker. If that doesn’t work out then just a part-time cleaner. I may start out with the cleaning first to see if I can handle work at all. I am taking it real slow. For volunteering maybe a nursing home, or the food bank.

2 Likes

Thank you! It felt soo good being on the road.

That’s awesome! Opens up a whole new world

2 Likes

Yes I am beginning to really love cars. I just pray that this one will last me a long time cause I spent all my savings on it and don’t have any more money right now for another one.

All that sounds great! @SkinnyMe volunteers in a nursing home, I think, she might be able to give you a few pointers to see if you would like to choose that. I just donated a bunch of stuff to our local food bank, and I can tell you they need more volunteers. That’s also a good cause.

I do office work at a hospice twice a week and I love it! I definitely recommend volunteering. I am looking for a full-time job, but volunteering until I find one, just to get out of the house and get used to being in an office after 4 1/2 years on disability.

Good luck!

1 Like

Good for you! I have been on disability for 6 years now. I want to work full time but I am afraid of losing the disability. They are making it harder to get back on after you leave for a job. That’s why I just want to do part time. It’s been hard in the past for me to keep a job so the safety net of disability really helps me get along.

Well done you! Driving is kinda relaxing but stay focused. It’s not your driving it’s that of others that is the problem. Sounds like you had a really good day and that is great.

1 Like

Awesome!! I’m glad it went well for you!!

1 Like

Well that may be the start of something beautiful.

1 Like

Thank you @rogueone. Yes I really did. Best day I have had in a while. After taking the transit for 7 years you really appreciate being able get around without waiting for the bus in the hot sun. I am going to try my best to keep up with the responsibilities of owning this car. I really appreciate everything I have.

1 Like

@November This is such a good thing to hear! Keep doing it!

1 Like

Thank you @shifter, @Blizzard, @Noise, I am going to try my best to keep up with this new responsibility of having a car.

2 Likes

Drive safe! Best wishes.

1 Like

Sending you a wide clearance of safety to surround you and your car.
Remember to keep your speed low and your eyes open, and also, enjoy the drive.

1 Like

@Csummers, @1Dave, Thank you!!

1 Like

@November It’s good you can take time to make your decision about work. I am not on SSDI or SSI, but I get my disability through my state’s retirement system. I have to be recertified every January. I am no longer disabled since the Zyprexa has worked so well, so I have a deadline of next January to find a job. I am not going to ask my pdoc to extend it when I am not disabled anymore. She probably wouldn’t anyway.

I feel completely confident that I can handle full-time, so it’s okay. I have had two interviews in the past three months, but no job offer yet. I ended up being completely overqualified for the first interview, and the second one was an excellent interview but they never followed up with me even though they said they would. That was a disappointment.

I hope I can beat my deadline, because I just took almost $7000 out of savings to buy my new-to-me car and I don’t want to dip into it more to live on. My husband doesn’t make enough on his own, just like most couples, we need two incomes. It’s hard to compete with other candidates who don’t have a big gap on their resume like I do. I’m sure I’ll find something though.