How many here drive a car as a diagnosed schizophrenic?

Wondering about the possibility of doing this. I feel somewhat stable enough for short drives, just need some inspiration.

8 Likes

I drive. It took me seven years to learn. I started trying to get a license at 16 like most people, but didn’t get it until I was 23.

2 Likes

Been driving since college back in 2009. It really helps with cognition. Some days when Im not working I just drive around for the hell of it.

@naturallycured if you know someone who has their license, ask them to take you to a parking lot and practice there.

4 Likes

I am capable of very short distances.
Basically to the local super market and back.
It’s literally 2 minutes from my house.
I no longer drive on the highway.

I own a car.

2 Likes

I drive every day.

I drove 3 hours this morning. From Jackson, MS to Baton Rouge, LA.

4 Likes

Do you guys ever have issue with zoning out while driving?

1 Like

You got this driving can be mind fulfilling at times when theres not traffic or people in a rush. Practice driving on like sundays especially in the morning. Good luck

1 Like

i did it, i was diagnosed at the time about dec 2016 and i passed my theory test and practical with flying colours :slight_smile: been driving for almost 2 years now :slight_smile: cant wait until the 2 yr mark bc then i dont need to worry about sitting my test again if i did anything wrong lol

whatever you do do not zone out while driving, this is extremely dangerous, i get tired a lot but i am always in control of the car, if i thought i was too tired i would pull over and have a break, never zone out while driving.

4 Likes

driving makes me anxious and feel my ptsd kicking in

but in years past I drove us on vacation up to 12 hours away.

if it’s snow or thunderstorm, I’m beside myself.

1 Like

I’m fine as long as I follow my “avoid highways” rule.

2 Likes

I drive everyday a truck with a 25 foot trailer behind it, never had any issues

7 Likes

i actually prefer motorways tbh :slight_smile: get to where i want to go a lot quicker, i have done anbout 1200miles in 6 weeks in my new car :slight_smile: it needs a wash though which i am worried about lol

1 Like

I wish I could, but will try and get used to it, must practice safe driving

1 Like

I keep my licence current so I don’t have to retake the tests, but I’m not medically allowed to drive because of my heart.

3 Likes

Ah, condolences.

1 Like

I just can’t do competitive high speed lane changes.

I live near the beltway and it’s I-95 I have to avoid. The traffic is very bad compared with the rest of the nation (except maybe LA I think).

2 Likes

yeah it can be difficult sometimes but i use my mirrors as much as i can and its usually enough for me, my judgement is pretty good as well, you have to do it at lower speeds off the motorway and this can be even trickier sometimes, i hate being in the wrong lane :confused:

the satnav i have is great, it tells me in advance what lanes to be in and the speed etc :slight_smile:

1 Like

No public transportation, over 18 miles to the nearest grocery store. Yes I drive, I have had my driving license for over 48 years now.

3 Likes

i’m getting the train tomorrow :slight_smile: going to the capital so it should be about 90mins to ge there and the same back lol

1 Like

I have my license but I rarely drive. I used to never be a passenger, I didn’t trust anyone else’s driving.

1 Like