First Rank Symptoms of Schizophrenia - Diagnosis Success 75% to 95% of Time

A new review out from Cochrane suggests that identification of the standard “First Rank Symptoms” of schizophrenia result in a successful diagnosis of Schizophrenia between 75% and 95% of the time.

Here are the first rank symptoms:

• auditory hallucinations:
  • hearing thoughts spoken aloud
  • hearing voices referring to himself / herself, made in the third person
  • auditory hallucinations in the form of a commentary
  • thought withdrawal, insertion and interruption
  • thought broadcasting
  • feelings or actions experienced as made or influenced by external agents

In summary: First Rank Symptoms remain a simple, quick and useful clinical indicator for an illness of enormous clinical variability.

Source:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25618788

3 Likes

I keep saying this…I wish my son would have said something when he first started having symptoms-I could have saved him from the life hes had. There has got to be a way to get someone to talk to someone as soon as something starts. But then again, who knows whats going through a young teenager`s mind-especially if they are also doing drugs…

1 Like

Ah - but every teen is going through something - and in 99% of the cases its not schizophrenia - so its really hard.

There definitely does need to be better education in highschool about signs and symptoms of mental illness - because thats typically when all of the major mental illnesses start - depression, anxiety, etc. - so that really is the answer.

Until we have that - most people won’t know until later…

2 Likes

My mom tried to take me to the hospital before things got bad. I thought everything was real telepathy. I was afraid of the hospital. Had lost trust in the world. Thing can end up so much better if you can catch it early. Unfortunately there is no way to spread awareness to such a high degree, I think being aware of the symptoms may on its own prevent them entirely. SZ sucks a whole lot, it can change everything and takes a while to get managed. It’s always good to see people on hear who have just started having symptoms, means this website is serving a purpose other then just let the sick kick buckets around.

2 Likes

**Yeah-but hallucinating, etc… would seem abnormal to a person right? In my son`s case, Maybe he was afraid to tell anyone.
Great idea to have this stuff in schools–that would eliminate some stigma and hopefully generate some empathy from other students. **

@SzAdmin
You tell me I have delusional thought,
when I reject all false stories that be written in this web,wherever the posters
insist to describes the symptoms of sz and ignore the existence of the hallucination phenomena as if the hallucination does not exist or if the schizophrenia does not
including hearing voices !

=In my posts i insist to say: there is no schizophrenia without hallucination like there is no sea without water,and all rest of symptoms is just a peripheral matters

-Look to your article,you can notice that the original author speaking about the hallucination as an accurate diagnosis for sz ,you accept him and reject me ,why ?

Most writers in this web speaking about the symptoms of schizophrenia through
writing many different stories about the family /social problems,the bad environmental conditions,the wrong views of people toward their behavior and their way of thinking,the problems with the doctors /medical measures…etc and above of all they give not any attention to the hallucination and its effectiveness on their mind and all aspects of behaviors,while in reality the effectiveness of hallucination create all theses stories

They talking about the problems and ignore its cause “hallucination”
They talking about the results and ignore its cause “hallucination”

And this action makes a false impression in the mind of reader,because he thinks that
these problems is a result of a group of bad family/social and environmental conditions Without any role for the hallucination " the nerve motor /the root origin "
Then ,the general reader think that,the sz is a result of bad living matters, which
make the
person claims that he is a prophet or talking with the God . and all other delusional thoughts about his original ID and all natural phenomena and things of world around him …etc

This method way to describes the symptoms through the stories causing window dressing/ twist the data bases // and sophistication the truth

In other side, we disagree with the author in the very important points related
the essential truth of the hallucinations;
1- It is fatal mistake if someone has talking about the hallucination
as if it is a symptom "whatever the meaning of word {symptom} in any human language "because it is seems to the own perception for any schizophrenic person as a alive futures of creature “higher organism”
2- The brain realizes the hallucination as an alive futures of higher organism,not as an organic symptom or own psychological symptom Although the hallucination is emitted from the inner psychological component of the person !
3-

I would think that if a person hallucinates all the time then they would think that it was/is normal. Normal is only what we are used to.

I thought growing up as I did was normal… Until I was in a recovery program talking one day and the instructor said: Barb’s case is extreme.

We assume that what we are experiencing is normal and that other’s experience it too.

1 Like

Can you only have sz if you hear voices? My main hallucinations are visual with telepathic communication. When the demon talks to me it is not a voice but telepathy. My current therapist diagnosed me with sz and since getting sick the doctors who know me well also diagnose me with sz. My pdoc, who isn’t too good, diagnosed me with schizoaffective. I told him I don’t have mood symptoms and he said I’m too high functioning to have sz. If I was lower functioning would I not leave my room instead of not leaving the house? Diagnoses confuse me. I prefer to just call it psychosis or mental illness, but part of me accepted the sz diagnosis because it is a severe illness and what I have been through has been severe. :sun_with_face:

Yes - I believe that any of these “first rank” symptoms are reason to be diagnosed with schizophrenia (if they last for more than 6 months) - according to the diagnosis manuals.

1 Like

What is the right of nature upon us ?
-To say the truth about its features

If it said ; if someone hallucinates all time.
the question; if this statement is correct and agree with the actual event ?
-the answer is no,because the hallucination is not human behavior or action

The explanation
1- The connotation meaning of the hallucination is that, they are mental perceptions outputs without existence of external stimulus

2- they are inner perception,wherever the person realize that ,some vocal thoughts
has been emitted in his mind-brain,or some moved imaginary picture has been displaying in his own mind-brain or some feelings has been emergence in his own sentiment

3- the person do not produces the vocal thoughts ,imaginary picture or the feeling,but he receives all of them without Ego volition and without any preceded arrangement

4- So that,the hallucination is not human behavior ,and it is not a production of the
conscious activity of the human mind

5- in other words,the hallucination is a visual things,audible voices or felt things i,
all these perceptions are internal processes,they are palpable things to the person’s oneself

6- when the person acts and behaves,for example when he talks to other people, and saying any irrational /illogical speech ,it is mistakes to think that the person hallucinates,because the hallucination is just mental perceptions { thoughts + feelings+visual things} can not turn into a speech or any type of human expression or behavior

7-whatever the irrational content of the person’s speech,but all listeners can not touch the hallucination itself { inner mental outputs in the brain of the speaker}

8-in the actual world,the spoken language is the mirror of thought,but the listener can not realizes /touch the thoughts themselves,because the thinking is an inner process inside the mind-brain of the speaker,so that the uttered speech is an expression /mirror
for the thoughts

9- in the actual world,we distinguish between the thinking and speaking process,between the thoughts and the speech,
for example ,“he is thinks” is different about the meaning of" he is speaks /he is talks"

10-that is to say,the hallucination process as an inner phenomenon is similar to the process of thinking in the person without schizophrenia {both are inner mental perceptional outputs },both of them are not the speaking process itself
-produce the thoughts is vary different about the produce of speech

11- when the schizophrenic has speaks about something,and saying irrational sentence,in reality the listeners has listen to irrational speech ,and it wrong to say that " he is hallucinates “,because the hallucination is a perception " like thinking process” not a behavior /expression or speaking

12- whatever the source of hallucination { the person’s oneself or hidden metaphysical entity },the hallucination is emitted in the mind of the person like emission of own thoughts in the same mind,the hallucination has effects on the mind-brain of the person like the perceptual effectiveness of the own thoughts

13- the hallucination has emitted in the mind of the person against his will,and there is no biological defense and there is no medication to mute them,and above all they are not human thinking/feelings/ behavior/ expression or speaking