Feeling like Im a fraud

I feel like Im not built for life. I have all these good things and I just waste them. My dad thinks Im going places and Im scared to let him down.

I want success but I dont know if I am mentally or physically capable of completing my masters thesis. I dont deserve to be here

With or without mental illness, people who care have to push themselves to achieve these things.

It seems by the very nature of your comment that you’re not the kind of person who’ll get by doing the bare minimum

Put your mind to it, and prove to yourself you can do it!

I completed my undergraduate degree, and that made me and my family proud given my history with education

If you do this, you’ll have that achievement for life. You would have earned it and deserve to be on that stage collecting your certificate

My advice will be don’t give up. It’s well worth the effort in the end

6 Likes

Keep going. Also keep in my mind that just because you can’t do it in the stipulated time doesen’t mean you are not worthy. Many people use some extra time to finish their education for various reasons with or without mental problems.

I finished my degree as a healthshop worker, but I had to use a extra semester to get there, but I did it in the end. Just do the best you can and hopefully you will get there. And even if you don’t there are always options.

3 Likes

Thanks @Joker and @Mr_Hope

Im just really down on myself. Im gonna keep trying but in the end Im afraid that Im just not cut out for it

Ive been having technical problems and Im simply not able to solve them. Working on it from home doesnt help either, its like my apartment is becoming my whole world, and its very hard to concentrate

1 Like

Are you on a path you have chosen or did someone choose it for you? Having the drive to complete an education has a lot to do with personal interests rather than family demands. Imho.

1 Like

@ThePickinSkunk No my dad actually doesnt agree with my chosen field but he wants me to succeed at what I do so Ill be happy

Hes been helping me pay my way through this education and I feel guilty I guess

1 Like

I can tell you with 100% certainty that every single grad student feels this way through the majority of their schooling. You are not alone. You are very capable, but it is okay to lean on any supports you can get, through special accommodations, family, school counselors, etc. I recently had a near panic attack because I forgot the deadline of one of my assignments and ended up turning it in late. I thought my prof would be very disappointed and mark me down. Instead, she said it was totally understandable and happens to everyone.

You have very high standards for yourself. I bet your professors see that. They also know that not everyone’s standards are so high.

4 Likes

I can respect why you may feel that way. But if you are grateful to your dad and once you graduate hopefully the feelings of guilt will be reduced or gone.

Kudos to you for working towards something though.

1 Like

Thanks @Ninjastar

My friends have said they feel that way too. Idk why I think my imposter syndrome is somehow real and I actually did make it here on a fluke. I def didnt cheat my way here

Idk I cant even function let alone do a masters thesis. I cant even do laundry. I think Im still bad but not hospital bad

1 Like

Thanks @ThePickinSkunk I appreciate that. Ill do my best

1 Like

Just try to give yourself imposter syndrome about faking imposter syndrome. “Gosh, all these other people actually have imposter syndrome, they must mean it more than me. I probably am actually totally qualified and don’t deserve to feel like an imposter at all”

2 Likes

That’s all too common among those who are very intelligent. You’re in that group. Have faith in yourself. You have the ability to do very well.

3 Likes

You’re not a fraud @zwolfgang

You’ve managed to do a highly technical graduate degree while living overseas in not one, but two different foreign countries, far away from family. Oh, and all during a deadly pandemic. And you managed all of this while living with a serious mental illness.

You’re not a fraud @zwolfgang You’re a remarkable young man with astonishing tenacity and fortitude.

P.S. All graduate students have doubts and insecurities. You are not alone. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Thanks @Ninjastar @firemonkey @Moonbeam

I really appreciate the kind words and confidence. I guess Im just not doing well mentally right now. But Im determined to do this, and you guys helped a bunch with motivation!

Thanks again everyone, I got this :smiley:

3 Likes

You deserve to be here. You’re needed here. Words to live by: Learn to do something you love, and you’ll never have to work a day in your life. I wish I hadn’t been mentally ill so I could have been a journalist, a job where I would do a lot of writing. I’m an aspiring writer, and having a job where I could have written a lot sounds very good to me right now. I have a little trouble with basic stuff, like usage. I would have so much better usage if I could have written a lot as a journalist. I think I would have liked a job like that.

1 Like

What’s that old expression?

“The problem with the world these days is that all of the intelligent people are filled with doubt, while all of the idiots are filled with confidence.”

Somethin’ like that.

You have wonderful talents, dude. It’s all going to work out for you in the end. It’s written in the stars. Don’t be afraid of your own destiny.

3 Likes

Thanks @crimby thats cool that you wanna be a journalist, my sister is too! Im trying to be a nuclear engineer, maybe get a doctorate someday

Wise words @anon39054230 I wish I fully believed that was my destiny. My destiny seems uncertain from my standpoint, couold go either way but maybe Im just tripping myself out lol

1 Like

You’ll always have your music to fall back on.

You’re instrumental production of my ballad was fantastic.

Maybe you were destined to write a musical about Nuclear Fission??

(Keeding!) :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks man! @anon94176359 said one day that I should change my name to “Fissile Beats” lol

I think a musical isnt out of the question :wink:

3 Likes

I mean, if nothing else, your skill with music production proves you have a lot of natural talent with mathematics and pattern recognizion, which are super important skills to have in nuclear research.

2 Likes