Experience publishing his/her Story

I have a collection of writings experiencing my schizophrenia. I am thinking to publishing it. But i am not sure if it a real good idea. Does anyone have experience publishing about his/her mental illness? As it is a market nice because there are not many books.

@jukebox has experience in this. I think he said he sold over 500 copies of his book.

1 Like

I failed to find a real publisher to take my book. I gave up and self published but mistakenly went anonymous on the book and now I can’t do book signings…the anonymous mistake is because I thought the book was going to be huge before reality set in. Yes, I’ve sold about 400 books. Now it’s at a real trickle at about 5 books sold a year. I think most times someone buys the book they buy it used copy so I don’t see a royalty. anyways, if all you want is to expose the book and promote it yourself, self publishing can be rewarding…it cost me about $700 to pay set up fees with iuniverse publishing.

Did you found an editor or did you edit it yourself.?
I heard about its difficult to find a publisher.
Thanks I think I go ahead with my project “book”

1 Like

project “book” is a good name for it

Shameless promo

1 Like

I’ve been unable to write about my experiences until I had the idea to write for theatre
It’s been a 3 year journey so far…
I’ve written semi autobiographical stuff about psychosis sand strange behaviour and my worst fears and imaginative interpretations including spirit guides and other worlds or kafkaesque turning into A spider in a hospital monologues or plays…
Working on a new one about bereavement

Been published by Lazy bee scripts who have yet to sell rights for a single performance but I’ve been performed in many places… Waiting for funding for my community theatre group to take a full coproduction. To local theatres and community centres
I’d advise going for it, :slight_smile:

1 Like

Also re: editing
You will need an editor absolutely
I always ask editors or my mentor or family for help
Writing is not as solo as I’d imagined
Get advice

1 Like

I googled" publisher free" and got some results. They publish for free on ebooks and go and print on paper when there are about 100 buyers. That will be fun. I stop “what you are waiting for” and start put it together. Maybe i rewrite into a diary. Thank you for your replies.:innocent::heart::blue_heart::green_heart::yellow_heart::alien:

1 Like

My book was poorly edited when I published and now I can’t take it back. I would have to pay a new publishing fee of hundreds again if I edited. what kills me is that the first sentence of my book has a flaw in what I wanted to say. oh well, the book’s out there.

1 Like