Existential anxiety is killing me

Is the “shared” world real, as the senses and natural reason would seem to dictate? Of all models of simulations I’ve come to embrace the religious/occasionalist type -Berkeley, Malebranche, etc. Fully supernatural. The universe is all smoke and mirrors, a fine piece of demonic trickery designed to entrap a single conscious being. If only someone could convincingly refute Descartes’ demon. Any thoughts?

Are you believing in a “ceramic model” of the universe, beeing God the potter and the universe his creation?

Time to go back on your meds I’m afraid.

Edit: you’ve lost insight.

No, my not-so-healthy side believes that the universe is entirely make-believe, recreated by the devil. God has no interest in creating universes.

I have full insight, I know perfectly well how my beliefs might sound to others, but the whole thing hinges on unanswered existential questions.

I reformulate my question:

Are you believing in a “ceramic model” of the universe, beeing the devil the potter and the universe his creation?

Why do you have anxiety though?

is the devil a ape ? i had a hallutation before of it

1 Like

Figuratively speaking, yes.

Because I’m unable to settle these questions one way or the other. Are other people real? I’m not delusional, but a side of me entertains thought-experiments endowed with a delusional flavour, fully under control. I must know if I’m human.

No, he’s the son of sofia.

Please go back on your meds.

1 Like

@everhopeful

Typically delusions are fixed beliefs; what I have is existential doubts.

1 Like

Humans are notorious liars so if you get the idea others aren’t real, I can understand.

1 Like

You said “Existential anxiety is killing me”.
You said “I must know if I’m human.”

You’ve gone insane. But you can’t see it.

Next step is “testing” some theory by killing yourself like I almost did.

1 Like

I’m sorry that happened to you.

1 Like

The logos became the laws of nature a while ago. Whether there is an architect or not things are going to happen by the forecast of science.

I´m telling you that you don´t need the devil as an hypothesis to predict the future, by observing the past you can do it without it.

Would you understand the model of the universe as blind, unintelligent force?

1 Like

My usual materialist and atheist self does.

1 Like

I would adscribe to the “universe as a process” view of the universe, it´s much more anxiety free.

Picture it as music, as a symphony. There is no rush because there´s no end goal. The goal should be enjoying the process itself.

I would see the existence of people as symptomatic of the type of universe we live in. As an apple tree grows apples, this universe grows people.

If you are in anxiety, is because you are looking for an end goal, a time restricted task.

BTW. The universe is not unintelligent, because we “grow” out of it and we are intelligent. This universe is intelligent.

I guess believing the universe is a demonic simulation and that other people aren’t real is inherently stressful.

1 Like