Ever had someone try to convince you it was all in your head?

That’s what my in laws are trying to do now they are trying to convince me that it’s all in my head. I told them I hear the voices outside my head like they’re real people talking to me. They think its all just a part of my imagination yet she still wants me to get prayed over then she wants the house blessed so supposedly the voices won’t come over to their part of the house and attack them.

So I don’t know what to believe from them its either all in my head or its some kind of religious problem.

1 Like

I’m so angry at those people :angry:

It’s your illness, it’s not a religious problem. The voices aren’t going to attack them of course not.

What does your pdoc say about you hearing a new voice?

5 Likes

he thinks its tied to anxiety and depression so instead of raising the haloperidol he raised the amitriptyline he’s hoping I can sleep better with it a higher dose since phillip (the new voice) keeps me awake

Alright… but it if you keep thinking demons are possessing you and things like that you call them. That kind of stress can’t affect you, you’re more important than that.

1 Like

thanks, I don’t see him for a month but I will definitely will call him if I have those thoughts and feelings again. he didn’t ask much about delusions, he asked about hallucinations, intrusive thoughts about self harming ( like punching myself in the head) and then anxiety and depression.

I used to punch myself too… dont let this situation bring you to that point.

1 Like

Yeah, me too. Don’t listen to them.

2 Likes

When my friend flew out when I was psychotic, we went to Six Flags. I was scared of every ride, and going into restaurants. He told me that he knew the old me and “knew” it was all in my head. Yeah… psychosis is a little more complex than that :smile:

1 Like

when I was without my Haldol, this last time and only had 5 mgs a day to take. My mother in law said that was the real me. She said she liked me more when I wasn’t on so many meds. I wanted to tell her what he voices were saying about her but I didn’t I was nice and just smiled and said i’m sorry.

1 Like

If they are so closed-minded (owing to their religious beliefs?) that they will not entertain any data from outside their belief paradigm, all you can do is use the skills one can pick up from Co-Dependents Anonymous (see below) to detach from emotional attachment to their approval or lack thereof.

Otherwise, try to get them to get and read these books.

And if the parents didn’t view religion as a belief/belonging system, but as a transformation of the self, they might just open their mind up to other possibilities… Maybe.

1 Like

yeah when i was camping with a friend, his buddy was saying that, so i told him a little ‘story’ , lets just say his face looked like he had seen a ghost after that. he quieted down after that :slight_smile:

1 Like

My father once told me it was my imagination in spite of his brother also having the illness. He changed his mind when his brother died and he watched “The Soloist”.

1 Like
1 Like

Well, my brain is in my head and the illness is in my brain, so… The good news is that my meds mostly keep it there and stop it from spreading to my day-to-day life. :smile:

Pixel.

2 Likes

From the p.o.v. of recovering co-dependents and adult children of toxic, emotionally blackmailing, self-absorbed and/or emotionally immature parents, what our parents think, say and do had no more relevance than what our voices… think, say and do. Unless, of course, they are one and the same.

1 Like

i hear my in laws voices, sometimes.