Erotomania: When You Believe a Celebrity Is in Love With You

3 Likes

What about when you think multiple celebrities are in love with you? I am definitely delusional! lol Oh well!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this @everhopeful! As always!

1 Like

This was one of my delusions.

2 Likes

I thought I was being contacted by multiple female celebrities and I chose one and then thought they were going to marry me.

That was a long time ago, I’m grounded now, have been for two years. But my recently diagnosed brother thinks he’s gonna marry Kim Kardashian at the moment.

My first reaction to that, if we weren’t ill, would be “you know she only dates black guys right?”

1 Like

Not in love, but i used to be so incredibly egotistical that I constantly fantasised about befriending Bono of U2 fame…and in my fantasy it was HIM who felt honoured to be MY friend!

Wow, how’s that for a huge ego,

3 Likes

@NutsAboutU I would love to be friends with Bono too. He is so witty! Probably a great conversationalist unlike me. Try not to beat yourself up over the egotistical side of it. I don’t.

Nah. Besides the erotomania, I was convinced I would be friends with and work with all kinds of creative A-listers.

Does it have to be a celebrity to be erotomania? Because I used to think random people in the hospital I’d hardly even spoken to were in love with me. It was very humiliating and definitely one of my most embarrassing symptoms.

1 Like

No, it does not.

At least, I don’t think so.

I miss my erotomania. It made me happy.

I’ve been using CBT strategies based on the aberrant salience aspects of Sz. I think CBT thoughts such as ‘I am not important’ and ‘Even if my paranoid ideas are true they are still of no importance whatsoever’ and ‘I am not important and nobody else knows that I even exist’.

I had erotomania off meds but it was the worst on Abilify. Idk why. No erotomania now on 6mg Risperdal.

Fortunately the fact I have no emails, phone numbers, letters, or cards from the celebrities I used to think were in love with me convinced me they didn’t. The same goes for everybody else who I don’t have communication, or ways of communicating with.

1 Like

I had erotomania on Risperidone. Although at that time it was high stress and there was some encouragement/“love” from my old church group mates.

1 Like

What helped me get over some of my celeb erotomania was reading about them, reading autobiographies, even, and realizing that they kind of suck as people and I wouldn’t want to be in a relationship with them.

2 Likes