Effects of varenicline on Cognitive Enhancement / brain plasticity in non-smokers with schizophrenia

Varenicline is a nAChR partial agonist that may improve cognitive deficits in both smokers and non-smokers with schizophrenia; however, the mechanism by which varenicline alters cognition in schizophrenia remains unclear.

CONCLUSIONS:

These preliminary findings suggest that varenicline may produce differential effects in non-smoking schizophrenia compared to control subjects. Given the role of LTP in learning and memory, these observations may suggest the potential for varenicline in the treatment of cognitive deficits in patients with schizophrenia.

Source

1 Like

From what I’ve researched varenicline isn’t a cognitive enhancer:

I think this area of cognitive enhancement is a new area of research. Traditionally Varenicline has only been used for smoking cessation.

1 Like

This is very interesting. I would be interested in seeing how it affects a larger sample size. Nine people isn’t a very big group.

2 Likes

Yes - its still very early. But always good to see some new potential therapeutics in this area.

1 Like

I would gladly be part of a new study in this area. I need some brain boosters in my life!

1 Like