Home, About, Contact Us, FAQ

Smoking Cessation Drug May Boost Cognition in Schizophrenia

The smoking cessation drug varenicline (Chantix, Pfizer) appears to enhance cognition in nonsmoking individuals with and those without schizophrenia, new research indicates.

The results also showed that the drug reduced the cognitive impairment typically associated with smoking cessation in individuals with schizophrenia.

“Given the high prevalence of smoking in patients with schizophrenia and some of the associated cognitive deficits found in these patients, having a smoking cessation aid that also targets these cognitive deficits would be ideal,” lead author Karolina Kozak, a PhD candidate at the Center for Addiction and Mental Health, Toronto, Ontario, told Medscape Medical News.

The findings were reported in a letter to the editor published online March 10 in Schizophrenia Research.

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/877302

I actually tried varenicline (Chantix, Pfizer) once, before I was diagnosed to give up smoking and the only thing it did for me was to give me suicidal ideation.

I don’t hear positive things said about Chantix from people suffering with SZ/BP etc…

I hear that it could worsen psychosis and trigger suicidal ideation etc…

I had wicked nightmares while on Chantix and it didn’t help me the second time I tried it…worked the very first time though…

I had bad nightmares on it also and had to stop after trying it for just a couple of days.

Maybe if it’s prescribed for cognition rather than smoking cessation it will work