E books or paperback

Just interested what others read here. I’m getting back into reading and just bought a tablet. I may try e books. Are they any good? I’m an amazon prime member so I can get an application and get tons of free books within my membership.

Thanks.

4 Likes

I’m for paperbacks all the way. I love the look, feel and smell of books.

4 Likes

I love both e-books and paperback. Paperback are easier to connect to, but with e-books you can carry hundreds of book with you everywhere!

1 Like

I’ve never used an ebook. I always thought if they lit up it would be the best invention. Some don’t light up.

1 Like

I think they sell little lights that can attach to any eBooks.

I like paperbooks when I’m at home, but when I used to travel to work I used ebooks

2 Likes

Normal screens aren’t much comfortable for reading seriously, the Kindle Paperwhite is much better but paperbacks are still superior.

1 Like

Ebooks are good since they’re cheap and even free (you can pirate ebooks just like movies or music online for free)

But real books are just so comforting. The smell of the pages, how it gets worn the more you read it. I have tear marks on sad pages that made me cry. Also if you really love a book I believe you should have a real copy. you could always lose your ebooks, but real books can last forever.

3 Likes

Each have their pros and cons.

BOOKS: Sometimes it’s nice to have a solid book in your hands. I also like not having to worry about battery life, and actually seeing with my bookmark how much I’ve read and how much I have left. I also love the feel of hard-back covers in my hand.

EBOOK’s: My personal kindle has a built in light on it, meaning I can read in the dark. It is much easier to lay in bed at night holding my kindle in one hand than it is trying to handle a big book. I don’t have to worry about tearing or bending pages. My kindle keeps the page you’r on…you can also high-light portions,and make personal notes, good if you’re trying to learn something,or you want to remember it for some reason…(like maybe reviews).

Also on my kindle you can make different book-marks…rather than bogging down your books with note cards/bookmarks, dog tags…whatever. Also my Kindle has a built in dictionary. If I don’t know a word often times I can tap on the word and hold it and the dictionary will automatically tell me what it means. I don’t have to go hunting for a dictionary or go online to try and figure out what the word is later…

What’s more is E-books don’t take up the space physical books do. I live in a small town-house with my parents, I don’t have the room for a large bookcase system. Though I do love my book collection and want it to grow, I simply don’t have the room for it. When I travel I love just grabbing my kindle and throwing it my purse, it beats having to lug around several thick books…(most of the books I read are rather thick).

E-books are also more private, while book covers can be extremely attractive sometimes you might want to read something that you might feel embarrassed if others found out…like I tend to read some racy erotic novels…even more erotic than 50 shades of grey. Or I’m in my 30’s and I tend t also read a lot of young adult books, or books with teenagers as the main characters…sometimes you just don’t want people to know what you’re reading…and I’m sure you have your reasons too.

Finally with e-books most are instantly downloaded to my Kindle, within 30 seconds of purchases. With physical copies I have to wait at least two days, some times more to get my hands on a the book. I also found that Ebooks can be quite cheaper than regular books, at least on Amazon. Lets take one book I just recently bought the both physical and e-book copies of. (I bought e-book first then decided to get the physical). It’s listed in hardback copy (which is what I bought) as 8.68, and on Kindle it’s 6.99.

Amazon also has a feature that you can pay extra for and read a lot of books for free. Occasionally they even offer ebooks for free. Out of all the free ones I bought though I don’t any where best sellers. but still free is free.

While physical books are nice, Ebooks do have a lot of pro’s to them. E-book tablets can get pretty expensive too but those are typically one time purchases and often come with extended warranties so if anything happened to them they could be replaced. I don’t know about it being stolen though, fortunately I’ve never had mine stolen.

3 Likes

I read paperbacks and hardbacks.

It is interesting to note what other members read on here though.

:v:

1 Like

paperback! i use a lot of spirituality books and its a lot easier to turn to a page when i need to reference something in the book instead of having to type it in one letter at a time etc

1 Like

I always order paperbacks. I love the look, feel and smell of new books. I’m a book junkie.

2 Likes

Paperback. I have trouble focusing on a screen for a whole novel length thing.

1 Like

Never done the e-book thing so no comment on that. Used to like buying books here and there but haven’t for a long time. Had to put my books in storage at my parents house. No room.

I prefer ebooks. My kindle ereader has a backlight so I can read at night, plus I can adjust the font size. I love it!

1 Like

I like paperbacks but I’ve been considering ebooks cause it’s definitely more convenient

1 Like

I have the Voyage, which is awesome, and I realized that they just added a feature to make the text bolder. Does yours have that? It’s amazing how much clearer it makes the text appear without taking up much space (I like to make my font as little as possible).

I’m not sure if mine has that. I will be reading the Ebooks through the kindle app, and I have not checked it out properly yet as I only bought it yesterday. But it sounds awesome.

I have been flicking through books to download and I’m astonished. And I downloaded a sample and I saw how it works. It’s very cool.

2 Likes

I have the kindle paperwhite. It doesn’t have that feature as far as I know.

1 Like

Check! They apparently rolled it out recently, because it was never there before for me. It’s on the font menu, along with size and typeface.

1 Like

I love both ebooks and hard copies. But if I have to go anywhere, definitely ebooks.

1 Like