Books vs Kindle/E-reading device

So my voices…have me debating this in my head. Does matter if you own a Kindle version of a book vs holding a paper-back/hard-back copy of the book?

Personally I love my Kindle. I can travel with my whole library in the palm of my hand, it even has a built in reading light so I don’t have to have the big overhead light turned on. And I don’t need to find a book-mark or worry about folding/ripping pages of the book or having other wear/tear on a copy of the book. Can also make highlights and add notes to something I’m reading and look up words with the built in dictionary.

However my voices say it’s not like owning a real physical copy of the book.If I were a true reader I should have a large physical copy library instead of a large digital library. They want me to go about and buy every book on my Kindle in hard/paper-back copies. I don’t really care to do that though. As I’m working on my own novel (just finished outlining act 2) I’m not sure which I’d prefer readers to have physical or digital copies…I know it’s a silly debate but the voices keep bugging me about it so I thought I’d ask for other input.

I have no hallucinations, just delusions. I have the same problem. My mind wants me to choose one of them. The reality is that I can read Kindle books and physical books.

But I convinced myself that I should read only physical books because I can stock them and have a beautiful shelf of books.

2 Likes

I use my kindle often for the web but if I’m reading intently I prefer a real book. I feel a real book strengthens my eyes where my kindle blurs them

I have a large physical library of books, and a large Kindle library as well. Often I’ll do exactly the opposite of what you’re asking and buy a Kindle copy if something I already have because I like the convenience of it and the reading experience.

It really doesn’t matter one way or the other. A real reader is someone who reads, not someone who owns a bunch of books in one format or another.

5 Likes

I really enjoy reading books on my kindle. It gives me the option to adjust text size and backlighting as needed to be easy on my eyes. I haven’t bought a physical book in several years.

But after you’ve finished the book it just takes up space. What do you do at that point?

I like Kindle for fiction especially. But for much non-fiction and for textbooks, sometimes it’s easier to use a bound book to see the context of what I’m reading.

1 Like

I prefer physical books for three reasons. First of all I have heard that because of the resolution on the screen you are limited in how fast you can read. Was in a book I read once I think by Ray Kurtzweil. Secondly you can get eye stress from looking too long at a computer screen. Third I like to look at my collection of books and all the stuff I forgot.

2 Likes

Prefer physical copies of books.

1 Like

I usually get the kindle, and if I really like the book I buy a physical copy as well. I do the same thing with CDs.

1 Like

The kindle paperwhite is very easy on the eyes, much more so than, say, a tablet computer. It’s designed specifically for reading and the screen simulates the look of white paper very well.

I do still get physical books if it’s a technical book, textbook, or reference book.

1 Like

My best friend calls them “dead tree books.”

2 Likes

Hey @Moonbeam your title made me look up again what Bosons and Fermions were(the actual particles.). I had forgotten. Although I still remember some things like the difference between the boson and fermion distributions was a sign of - and + if I remember correctly. Anyway just a little bit off topic.

1 Like

I would like to be able to do that, but I’m on a fixed income and it isn’t really plausible for me to by both when I need the money for other things…

Yeah I haven’t had much problems with eye strain’s plus I just don’t read that long, I have a short attention span and at the most can only read maybe 3 possibly 4 chapters in one sitting.

I would choose physical book but in my country there is not much books related computer programming.i can find many kindle book for c++ language.thats why i could choose kindle.kindle rocks anyway

I love the smell of real books. Second hand bookstores are my heaven!

5 Likes

I prefer regular/physical books.

1 Like

Second hand bookstores are what’s up! I love browsing through them, you never know what you might find.

My library has an awesome bookstore in it and they sale used books very cheap, 1-3 $. I got an awesome copy of To Kill a Mockingbird for only 3 $.

4 Likes

My high-tech yuppie sister in law asked me why don’t I get kindle instead of buying books. But I’m an old-fashioned girl - I love the real thing, to hold a book in my hands and feel the pages. Nothing beats a visit to the library or a bookshop! :smile:

4 Likes

To Kill a Mockingbird is an awesome book. We read through it hundreds of times in school and I actually enjoyed it every time (Usually despise school)