Dog suggestions?

My parents finally have come around to wanting a new dog, and I think they will get one once school starts again in August. To anyone who knows dog breeds feel free to help out w a suggestion. :slight_smile: Here’s the criteria:

1. My Dad wants the dog to be smart, interactive & playful, he does not want a lap dog (or a Labrador/golden retriever, he doesn’t like them for some reason)

2. My Mom does not like dog breeds that are very yappy/noisy, and does not like stubborn/sassy/aloof breeds

3. I love fluffy dogs and wrinkly dogs

4. My family needs a dog that is lower energy because none of us are very active people, but still playful enough to enjoy romping around the house w my dad when he gets home from work/enjoying chasing a ball/roughhousing & play wrestling, etc

5. my parents don’t want a large dog bc they are “harder to control” and “make big poops”, smaller breeds are ideal but medium are ok too

What do u guys think

3 Likes

My initial reaction was this.

It seems like there are a lot of conflicting criteria. Maybe just go to the animal shelter and give them your exhaustive list of criteria and see if they can find a match for your family.

5 Likes

Yeah ideally don’t use a puppy farm and adopt a dog that needs a family.

I’d say go to a shelter and meet some dogs and pick one who you like. If I ever have any more animals…bastardos over here won’t let me…I’m adopting!

3 Likes
2 Likes

A couple who happen to be dog trainers once told me that when picking out a dog, “go for personality over breed.”

Good luck!

I kinda want to get a dog too.

Like a little pug, or something medium and calm mannered who wont eat my :cat2:.

1 Like

When I was a kid, my family had a beagle. Beagles are great pets, but they can be stubborn and they can bark a fair amount. They have a distinctive barking/baying sound.

2 Likes

what dose your family look like, and you well fall in love.

1 Like

We had a half-beagle, half basset hound. She was a beagle built low to the ground but her tail was always wagging. Now that you mention it she barked a lot every time someone came to our door and was stubborn. They also tend to want to roll around in poop sometimes, like duck and cow and horse. But she was the happiest, friendliest, best-natured dog.

1 Like

Me and my mom want to adopt but my dad doesn’t because he wants a puppy and if he gets a mutt puppy he doesn’t know what it’ll grow into vs having basic guidelines w a breed. I don’t fully agree w that…but whatever…when I get my own dog I’ll adopt.

Also it’s annoying bc my dad really likes intelligent dog breeds like herding dogs/working dogs but our family is NOT a good match for these dogs!! They end up neurotic or depressed bc they don’t give enough activity/stimulation. We need a lap dog!! They’re still playful but they were bred to just be friends, vs these dogs my dad loves that were bred to work…ugh

1 Like
1 Like

I’ve been pushing for basset hound lately :joy: I don’t really mind barking.

Our last dog was a corgi and she was FIERCELY stubborn. Like she was her own personality. Our first dog was very obedient and well behaved so I think she sort of traumatized my parents :joy: there were threats to give her away on multiple occasions throughout her life but I never let them

1 Like

I’d loooove to get something like a bull mastiff or Newfoundland or Great Pyrenees. But my parents don’t like big dogs. They are such sweet gentle giants.

1 Like

My father wants for us to get a lab or golden retriever but they need lots of exercise and I don’t have the motivation.

Thinking about a low energy dog like a French bulldog or Basset hound.

1 Like

I hope to have a schnauzer love em

I actually love giant schnauzers, they’re beautiful and silly looking at the same time and are such sweet dogs.

1 Like

I love Schnauzers and Dachshunds.

Every third sunday at Razzles in Blackpool and Tescos carpark in Bristol after 9

Beyond that I have no other dogging suggestions

Australian cattle dog

3 Likes

Hi guys, I have recently adopted a Labrador Retriever from an animal shelter. He seems sweet, and interactive, the only problem is that he loves to sneak out around the neighborhood and I am afraid that sooner or later he won’t be able to find his way home. I am thinking of buying an underground dog fence from this online shop, but I am not that sure whether it will be as effective as a traditional barrier. What are your thoughts about this product? How does the shock collar system work? I don’t want him to get hurt. Would you mind sharing to me your experience with this product?