Schizophrenia.com

Does the medicine make it harder to think?

I think the AP meds make my thinking much clearer and more rational. The illness sza made my thinking all messed up.

2 Likes

Meds help me think more clearly. Off meds I get disorganized thoughts, inappropriate emotions etc and can’t think clearly. My mind is also calm on meds, off meds I am always agitated and angry/irritable. Besides I had negative and cognitive symptoms 3yrs before my diagnosis and before my 1st psychosis. I read in studies that 73% of szics experience negative and cognitive symptoms before their diagnosis, during prodromal sz.

2 Likes

Psychosis diagnosis occurs after prodromal phase, in acute phase.

phases2

Same for me. 15

3 Likes

The things that have the greatest negative impact on my thinking are anxiety and stress. I do better when expectations, and pressure to do well, are minimal.

2 Likes

Meds help me think clearer and more realistically. I was able to have an IT career on meds.

AP’s can clear the mind to a certain extent as people have mentioned. However I believe that the dopamine blockage that meds cause can also affect your concentration and memory. Dopamine is helpful in both of these areas. I’m not sure that I would say that they make it harder to think. They just make it harder to focus and memorize. That’s my opinion anyway.

I’m on a very low dose but for me high dose forget about it. Zero thoughts

I’d rather be psychotic tbh but I need to be able to function enough to work… that’s the dealbreaker. I took 5 mg haldol yesterday but today 1 mg . I wasn’t feeling good but am great now!

Try 1000 mg fish oil. It helps with concentration and memory.

It’s made me think more.

Me too. I fall completely apart under pressure.

1 Like

The medicine does slow down your thinking a little since it blocks a lot of dopamine