Does the medicine make it harder to think?

I think the AP meds make my thinking much clearer and more rational. The illness sza made my thinking all messed up.

3 Likes

Meds help me think more clearly. Off meds I get disorganized thoughts, inappropriate emotions etc and can’t think clearly. My mind is also calm on meds, off meds I am always agitated and angry/irritable. Besides I had negative and cognitive symptoms 3yrs before my diagnosis and before my 1st psychosis. I read in studies that 73% of szics experience negative and cognitive symptoms before their diagnosis, during prodromal sz.

4 Likes

Psychosis diagnosis occurs after prodromal phase, in acute phase.

phases2

1 Like

Same for me. 15

3 Likes

The things that have the greatest negative impact on my thinking are anxiety and stress. I do better when expectations, and pressure to do well, are minimal.

3 Likes

Meds help me think clearer and more realistically. I was able to have an IT career on meds.

AP’s can clear the mind to a certain extent as people have mentioned. However I believe that the dopamine blockage that meds cause can also affect your concentration and memory. Dopamine is helpful in both of these areas. I’m not sure that I would say that they make it harder to think. They just make it harder to focus and memorize. That’s my opinion anyway.

I’m on a very low dose but for me high dose forget about it. Zero thoughts

I’d rather be psychotic tbh but I need to be able to function enough to work… that’s the dealbreaker. I took 5 mg haldol yesterday but today 1 mg . I wasn’t feeling good but am great now!

Try 1000 mg fish oil. It helps with concentration and memory.

It’s made me think more.

Me too. I fall completely apart under pressure.

2 Likes

The medicine does slow down your thinking a little since it blocks a lot of dopamine

But there are ppl out there who are on antipsychotics and dont have alower thinking. So that to me auggest if you are getting slower thinking from meds you just need to switch meds until you find something that makes you cognitive. Also some ppl report not having negatives on antipsychotics. So that suggest we can find one that wont affect those things.

I feel I’ve lost my creativity side as a musician it doesn’t come to me like it used to.

2 Likes

I think it’s more of the SZ rather than the meds. Once I found the right combination, I did find it harder to think rapidly and could focus better.

I think the medication has helped me cognitively. Without it, my judgment is really impaired. I am doing better overall because I am compliant. I can do odd jobs here and there now whereas before I was completely disabled from psychosis.

Haldol sure deadened my mind. It totally took away my creativity. All the typical AP’s do that to me. They use Haldol to torture mental patients in Russia.

I never suffered with psychosis itself. That is I don’t want to take medication. Like I got asthma and I suffer, that is I take the asthma medication. The AP take a lot of my willpower away and make me vulnerable to scammers,conartists and clowns, cause my thinking is impaired with AP. I take a very low dose of AP these days to make certain people of authority happy.

i feel like the meds make it easier to think. without them my thoughts are like trying to give a speech in a room full of people with verbal tourettes tics

1 Like