Hello....new here

Anyone have any problems with meds blocking your creativity?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Sweet_Leaf ! :sunny:

I was never creative in an artistic sense but since being put on meds I’m not as “creative” with tech/computers as I used to be.

But lack of creativity is a small price to pay if it happens.

1 Like

Absolutely.

I have to force myself to write everyday.

The meds have definitely lessened my creativity but more importantly made it difficult for me to express myself when I do feel creative.

It’s something you just have to work through.

Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum!!! Yes, my APs affect my creativity. But I’ve noticed that if I stay on a med for long enough my creativity starts to come back

1 Like

Definitely. I used to be very creative. Writing, drawing, a ton of different crafts. Now I barely ever do anything creative. The rare times I do, it’s usually because something’s going on and my meds aren’t doing their job and I’m having many other symptoms as well.

1 Like

Welcome to the Forum!!!

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. I use to write poems and paint. It all stopped almost abrubtly roundabout the time of my diagnosis and ap prescription, so it’s difficult to say it’s the AP or the sz blocking my creativity. Its been 10 years with zero creativity.

1 Like

I have actually gotten more creative since getting meds. Or rather, I’m the same level of creative, but now have the drive to actually put my ideas into action.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s a gentle hint that we need to focus on the mundane. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Initially, but it was more because the meds were sedating all areas of my life. I got into the habit of staying busy – including being busy creatively – and it’s no longer a problem for me. Also helps that I’ve aged and between that and therapy, etc., found supplements and a lower dose that work for me.

1 Like

Hey welcome

Well I used to be able to concentrate better but now I can’t. I still draw though but it’s much harder and more scribbly

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum! Yes, I used to write like crazy and now it makes me anxious just thinking about writing. I’m trying to get back into it a little bit at a time and it seems to be working.

2 Likes

Hello and welclme

meds have sort of squashed by creativity somewhat.

Its still there though…

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Sweet_Leaf! :cherry_blossom:

2 Likes

@Sweet_Leaf welcome to here a lttle place of nowhere.

1 Like

Strange That You Ask…,

When I Am Not on Meds I Create Endlessly…,

I Don’t Sit Down And Write Songs…,

I Pick Up My Guitar And Sing Songs From Out of Nowhere Picking up The Vibrations And Invisible Frequencies of The Universe And Make Songs That Last 15-ish Minutes.

Without Plans I Create & Create & Create & Create.

On Meds I Sit Down And Write And Write And Write And Write…,

During The Stay at The House I Am at Now, in The Course of a Little Over a Week, I Wrote Over 100 Song’s.

I Am Under Medication Right Now…,

So It’s a Strange Trade Off…,

Without Meds, It’s a Twilight Zone of Strange Songs…,

With Meds, It’s a Feast of Whatever I Decide I Want The Song’s to Be…,

With No Real Effort, It Jus Gets Done…,

Advice…,

Take The Meds…,

I Went Down a Very Dangerous Pathe With My Creativity in Mind, Not Wanting to Compromise About Medications…,

Your Body Shifts And Finds Ways to Excel With The Added Function of Medications…,

I Still Wonder Sometimes What Would i Be Able to do Without These Pills?.

Maybe Nothing, Since i’d Be Dead… . …

1 Like

I am naturally a highly creative person.
Yes, the meds blocked my creativity.
I used to write poetry, and create art and music all the time, before the meds.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum. You stole my name :smiley: Yes I feel my creativity is blocked by meds. I used to write songs and craft and draw. Now I don’t get much inspiration. When I do get the motivation to try it’s not very imaginative. I’ve lost my spark. I imagine you’re having this problem and that’s why you asked. I’m so sorry. Sometimes we have to give up a little bit to gain a lot. There’s a little grieving but it’s worth it to be stable in my opinion. Take care.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community.

I’m not really any less creative than I used to be but rather I tend to explore many different interests that tend to change often.

:smiley:

1 Like

@Sweet_Leaf
YES!!! My most important med, Risperdal Consta depot, slows me down and interferes with my piano playing ability. I don’t have the fluidity of performance that I used to have before I started on it. And after twelve years of practice while on Risperdal Consta, I can’t get this ease of playing and fluidity back. I’ve complained to my pdoc several times about this and each time he pooh poohs me and insists that I stay on this med, and on this form of the med, saying that I might regret changing meds.