Does sz have a sudden onset or does it happen gradually

is it sudden or gradual

I think it can be both :pig::pig::pig:

7 Likes

It was sudden for me. There was nothing gradual about it.

2 Likes

Depends. But I think it’s more gradual. I had a freaking gnarly bad trip with lsd and it was still gradual after that. Took several months after it till it progressed and got worse and worse and ended up in a hospital 6-7 months later.

And I had symptoms before then a while and it was gradual then too. And guess what, you gradually get better too!! Rather than suddenly.

5 Likes

Both. I struggled as a kid and it became more frequent and more intense through my teen years. It was awful at age 19. I was hospitalized for six months. In my 20s I was stable. Then, when I had my son, it was a sudden intense different. Symptoms started and never stopped. I experienced things I never experienced before. They said childbirth can do that.

2 Likes

@Jonnybegood
This is a good word for me to hear. I keep expecting a sudden recovery. I keep expecting to be who I was before I got sick.

2 Likes

Sza was gradual for me. Took 4 years to develop into a crisis

2 Likes

It was gradual for me until I became psychotic.

It’s called “insidious” onset.

4 Likes

I would say “both”, for me. When I was fifteen I started getting hit with a whole ton of anxiety. It sucked. I lived with the anxiety for a long time, but about ten years later I become psychotic.

2 Likes

It can be very sudden or it can be very gradual.

3 Likes

Mine wasn’t but it kind felt it was. Ì didn’t realize the signs I was missing

Mine was a gradual deteriation over a number of years. It only came to a head after i finally went batshit crazy living rough in a bin for 6 months. Didnt help that i was bloody mis-diagnosed for years even after probation and prison for acting out, ive yet to trust the NHS fully after there humoungous cock-up. I could have been well years ago!!

Mine was gradually. It took a little while for when my parents took me to hospital and a while after that

2 Likes

My depression symptoms were gradual. Or insidious. I was depressed (due to abuse), ever since I was about two years old. In my teens, I became depressed due to a bad case of bulimia. And then due to an abusive husband. At age 23, in nursing school, I suddenly became psychotic, so that was sudden.

2 Likes

Going psychotic happened very suddenly although I had past episodes that weren’t recognized until later as psychotic or paranoid episodes.

The going crazy happened within days or weeks, the difference was striking - after the fact. In the psychosis all the craziness just kind of seems a little unusual but accepted as legitimate.

It’s amazing how out there you can be without realizing it.

1 Like

Gradual, for me.

1 Like

I’d say it was gradual for me. It seems i’ve been building up to this my whole life.

3 Likes

Gradual for me. Prodromal phase with mood swings, social withdrawal, depression. And all of a sudden voices

3 Likes

Mood and anxiety was gradual. Psychosis was sudden.

1 Like

I guess both. Mine was instantaneous from substance induced psychosis. It went down hill from there and took about a year to be hospitalized. I’ve been disabled ever since. First 5 years were hell. I’m getting better but noticed I’m recently getting depressed.

1 Like