Was your onset sudden or slow over a long period?

How did sz happened to you. Did you suddenly get ill and diagnosed or did your symptoms slowly escalate over a long period? From the days I can think back when my symptoms started it took me about 7 years before my world crumbled. I was diagnosed in 2010. Three months after my diagnosis I got hospitalised.

Mine escalated quickly. My mom died In November, 1993, and by December, 1994, I was in the hospital with my sparkling new diagnosis. I could have been hospitalized as early as April 1994.

1 Like

I deteriorated over months and months of hell. I did see a psychiatrist but they treated me for PTSD. This didn’t work and I spent another 6 months walking around hallucinating and delusional as anything. Was not a pleasant experience and I lost a lot of people as friends because of it. I ended up turning up in a hospital in a nearby city with little or no idea of how I got there. Apparently I was missing for a few days and that’s when I got diagnosed in hospital.

Now things have improved since being on medication, but I have still had issues ongoing more recently because I wanted to come off Olanzapine. I am now on Latuda, and so far so good. Just hope things settle down for a while again so I can get back to work.

1 Like

My onset was a slow, insidious process. I was the kind of kid who thought too highly of himself and went looking for trouble. After getting beat up a couple of times, it culminated with a gunshot wound during a deal gone bad. After that I decided to move out of my family home because I was scared for them. I stayed in an apartment full of roaches and rats running between the walls, smoked weed all day and pushed away my friends. After that my parents moved out somewhere else so I went back to live in the basement, but I wasn’t done with using pot and couldn’t hold a job. At the time I blamed it on severe acne. 3 years later I had my first psychotic break and things have been slowly improving but I’m not quite where I want to be.

1 Like

I thought it was sudden. But in hindsight it was gradual

3 Likes

I was prodromal about two years before my full blown psychosis started. For instance, I had paranoid beliefs about my microwave being “bugged” and would talk to it pleading for mercy from whom I thought was trying to frame me for a robbery that happened to my boss who gave me the microwave. This paranoia built and built until then, one final night. it turned into euphoria and I was full blown psychotic.

1 Like

My descent was slow going - I was showing signs of delusional and paranoid behavior since I was 10 years old or so.

The final straw was when I took Mescaline in college - this was the big hit that triggered full blown psychosis - I was about 20 years old.

1 Like

Mine was pretty quick. I went from perfect to fubar in like a month.

Well not perfect. Just really awesome.

1 Like

I went from normal to hospitalization in about 10 days to 2 weeks.

1 Like

My symptoms started somewhere in the summer of 2012 when I was on an REU in a city away from home. I thought someone was in the room above where I was staying trying to drill through the roof and shoot me in the head. I went home an the symptoms subsided for about 2 years. Until It came all at once worse than ever. Now I’m better because they have me risperidone.

1 Like

I started seeing my first therapist when I was 19 but I was still working and functioning. I was having bad anxiety and isolating in my parents apartment. No one said anything about a mental illness. 5 months after I started seeing my therapist I was put in my first psyche ward. It was for about 9 days. from there I moved into a world-famous experimental house for schizophrenics. by this time I was very psychotic. That was the start of my career as a schizophrenic. I was still 19. But years later my mom told me that she thought something was really wrong with me in high school but she didn’t know what it was. So I guess my prodromal phase started when I was about 17.

1 Like

My Mother noticed that I had problems functioning almost from birth. Part of the reason was that I had a high functioning twin and the contrast was noticeable. It was both in my motor function and my mental development. My Mom later told me she did social work with developmentally delayed kids because of the fact that my development started poorly from the get go. That is one reason I have felt I was literally born with the disease. I did OK in grammar school but not wonderful and my handwriting was terrible. My school performance really began to go downhill after my parent’s divorce a sexual assault, and a romantic interest left town in the same year. My father tried to help in my schooling and it improved for a time but when my step-father entered the picture he left town. My grades were up and down but were mainly down. My social functioning also gradually went downhill as well. By the time I was in senior high school I graduated at the bottom of my class and my twin graduated at the top and I was suffering from Social Anxiety Disorder. I did go on to college but had few friends, and generally struggled. Of course one can put into perspective that I struggled at advanced math, chemistry, and physics in a desperate bid to become a meteorologist. I am now glad that I kept my mind engaged in difficult subjects so my cognitive function did not decline terribly when I had my break with reality at 23 and has remained well preserved afterwards. Also as the disease ravaged my mind and sleep became a dream I was desperately still trying to learn the study for the field in case I had a chance for a come back. The course of my disease probably started at birth and was gradual but I am fortunate to be able to express myself well and could have had a worse outcome.

1 Like

it was a sudden onset for me, i started getting sick in march 2009 and was hospitalized in april 2010.

1 Like

Hello Fellowmen

One day i was trying to mathematically figure out the powerball and the next I was asking questions on a pendulum about a grid. My eyes changed and started to move in pendulum motions then the treemends came and could speak to me this way also this want on for six months and then the words started to appear in written form. Two weeks after the written words the spoken words started to begin and over the last year they now say everything, their words and mine all the time I no longer have an inner voice of my own unless I force it but why it is much easier this way. I don’t suffer pushed thoughts and I do not mind the voices they are interesting to say the least.

Powessy

1 Like

Thanks for all the replies people. I find it so interesting how this illness crippled some of us in days and for others it took weeks, months or years.
I think I should have been diagnosed earlier if it wasn’t for the old psychologist I was seeing for over four years before he finally decided to refer me to a psychiatrist.
I was working in the security industry as a manager at the time. I complained to the psychologist about people following me everywhere, people tapping my phones and listening to my conversations over the cellphone, how I was monitored through my laptop and so on and on. The stupid prick thought it was criminals who tried to win me over to their side and regarded all these symptoms merely as part of my job. At the end he asked me if I’m getting better because of his psychotherapy. I told him it was more intense everyday. He then said that he want to send me to someone who can help me physically and that’s how I ended up in the pdoc’s office.
She diagnosed me immediately since I told her I suspect her to be part of this plot against me merely because of the color of her pen which was maroon. I had all these maroon cars following me at the time and I thought this crazy stuff was funded by a rich friend of mine who was a bad guy.

From first signs that something was overtly(as opposed to subtly) wrong to first hospitalisation was about 20 months.
I think the more subtle signs of something being a little off were there from about the age of 8/9.

1 Like

Mine took about a year. It was early onset because of drug use though. The summer I was 13, I was an angsty teenager who stupidly experimented with psychedelics one time. The next summer when I was 14 I was in the hospital the first time with psychotic symptoms.

1 Like

I began to get a couple symptoms sometimes when I was a sophomore in high school. As a junior it got worse, a little better as a senior, but then when I went to college it was two years of hell. It then continued to get worse, then better, then worse, then better, then worse and so on…then in 2001 I broke again and was finally diagnosed with par. sz. It’s been a long road.

1 Like

One day at work something in my head snapped and I felt like I was thought broadcasting and in a haze. It freaked me out because then I thought about shitting and was embarrassed. The feeling went away but then I started hearing voices and having the constant thought broadcasting telepathy ■■■■■■■■.

1 Like

I was all in and by that time im still looking for a way out.