Does schizophrenia reduces intelligence?

I feel that maybe I can’t become what I want, a Dr, because of schizophrenia. Permanent cognitive symptoms maybe. I don’t know if Vraylar will fix these. I know it will fix my negative symptoms but what about cognitive symptoms?

Did schizophrenia prevent you from realizing your dreams? My mother says that I should be happy even if I was just able to work at any job. She’s giving up I think.

4 Likes

Schizophrenia made my dreams impossible but at least I’m not psychotic on meds

5 Likes

That’a how I feel too.

2 Likes

Dreams Can Be a Reality if You Hold Tight to Your Internal/External Positively Hopeful Beliefs.

Sincerely,

Nosferatu Bat Beam (sleepoptimistic)
:latin_cross: :yin_yang: :latin_cross:

2 Likes

Yeah, it can effect your thoughts and cause highly disorganized thought patterns and unintelligent thinking.

2 Likes

I think I’ve lost some IQ.

2 Likes

I got addicted to crack when I was in my twenties. Schizophrenia didn’t lower my intelligence, it just ramped up my stupidity.

1 Like

Social Phobia shattered my dreams. I wanted to play soccer for a division one school. In high school I was like 10% out of a 100% with how I played on the field. So I never played where I wanted to play. I played Jr. college, but still I wasn’t myself on the field.

1 Like

My low self esteem and low confidence killed my dreams. … so I killed my dreams… um the sza after each episode I do feel a bit slower mentally yes…

1 Like

One Has to Come to The Realization That Expectations to Please Nothingness is Invalid.

Sincerely,

1 Like

I second this. More often than not my thoughts are disordered. I feel stress exacerbates it. I feel like for us who are affected by it; work will cause you to be more psychotic - disordered thoughts. It might not fully cause psychosis but it will be psychotic.

I myself am only starting to realise if I want to have a full time job, I’m going to have to do self employed. There’s no way another employer will support you no strings attached. We just do not function well enough.

I don’t understand how people like Elyn Saks managed to do what they have done.

2 Likes

I lost like 10-20 IQ points. Feels like I’m at 105-110 right now.

1 Like

I’m not really sure. For me I think it’s the meds doing it, so it’s more like schizoprenia in itself is a indirect cause.

Those who are in the know say that ap’s are linked to dementia. Actually people who are diagnosed with dementia can’t take most ap’s if any, it’ counterindicated because then they would really really lose their minds.

I think it’s important to provide the brain with extra vitamins and other supplements to combat the degredation from the meds.

I have really only been on zyprexa so I can’t speak for other medications. But I can definitly feel it’s taking it’s toll on me, but I imagine some ap’s are better than others in this regard.

As to dreams I used to think that my job title was more important than work and that that alone would carry me to great things. Now I see the world different. I just want a job in a good environment with good work colleagues, it doesen’t matter much what the job is as long as I am able and like to do it.

1 Like

Wha+ D0 Yuu Meen (By) Sa(Y)ing, “no strings attached”, e(Y)e aM HonestlY ConFuseD.

Sincerely,

In this country sometimes you can get a job just for being disabled. The government will sometimes give the employer certain recognition for it.

I think I used the wrong words tbh.

I think the situation is somewhat better than when I 1st got a sz diagnosis in 1975. Back then expectations of what you were capable of achieving nose dived with the dx. There is a greater acceptance nowadays that with the right factors it’s possible to achieve despite the diagnosis.

4 Likes

In All Reality The Word Intelligence isn’t Decreased By Any Mental “illness”.

Sincerely,

1 Like

That’s nice to hear, thanks, I hope that I can achieve my dreams.

In my opinion, yes it affects cognitive abilities, I don’t feel smart anymore and some days I’m so wacked out it feels like my brain is in the fryer ---- this illness ain’t no joke and it wreaks havoc on peoples bodies

2 Likes

You Caan Maan Don’t Give up, it’ll Happen One Day!, Sooner Rather Than Later I Bet!.

Sincerely,

DJ Nosferatu Bat Beam (sleepoptimistic)

2 Likes