Does Schizophrenia correlate to High Memory or IQ

I mean its more like a selective memory perhaps. Not selective I mean I have an open mind but I do have a filter so before I had a breakdown I couldn’t stop remembering things/like an OCD sort of or autism i dont know for sure it was like that. i remember that it was sixteen years before I can remeber what I had for breakfast on a certain day and what the sky looked like on the fourth of july when I was nineteen and when I did this or said that, played flag football basketball or soccer its like my mind is an endless movie script with me narrating sometimes or now and then…but its not math like–my math failed in hS at some point i lost math and compensated with words and memories like total left brain or right brain not sure which but Im total in somewhere. I wonder how much of my brain I was using then or now. If that also has to do with issues with synethesia or what it is that causes this disease we call it and if anyone else relates to this concentration of memories.

I think madness is next to genius. It’s impossible to figure that out. The reason is because most sz can’t take an accurate iq test and what there true intelligence is masked. Most of the schizophrenics I know are out of this world smart. You can pick up on it subtly.

As far as me I think I’m pretty dumb. I guess we’ll never know.:sunglasses:

1 Like

I know I have thought of myself as dumb too. But the IQ test was created to keep Irish and Italian immigrants out of NYC and the US I think around the Great Depression and WW2? It was used to justify keeping “imbeciles” or those who couldn’t accept the American way. Therefore dehumanizing a lot of children and leaving them to starve on the streets …I know the IQ is bs it was created for political reasons thats why I never cared what the score was. Anyone can measure fitting in to a scheme or system what does that have to do with talent creative skill or the ability to transform a structure …

I am tired of being such an introvert but i dont like to be subjected to so much monotony i cant handle it or just silence and repeated tasks like working at a warehouse was terrible for my mental health. Diversity to me would be a stronger type of economic system but whats the point of expressing this when it seems big tech and ai is domineering over progress or …

According to my studies, schizophrenic don’t do well on IQ tests and tend to have below average IQ. But not everyone obviously. I was told my IQ is a little high but I’ve never actually taken the test.

1 Like

People with Schizophrenia generally have a lower IQ on average. So, to answer your question: No. That’s not to say that some people with sz don’t have high iq’s though. It’s just on average.

3 Likes

Probably negatively correlated. Some people few and far between were geniuses and then schizophrenia ruined and destroyed their lives before they could get far in life and have nice things and be happy and successful…

I think my IQ is above average, but my memory sucks and my IQ is worthless because of the thought disorder and lack of motivation among several other significant factors…

Farthest in math I got was upper level division abstract math courses while in prodromal and barely passed those classes. I ended up dropping out but the non-stem classes were a breeze and easy for me. I just picked the wrong major and had schizophrenia at the time which I had no clue what it was about or how it got so bad. I assumed pot, but looking back years later, my schizophrenia tells me it was mk -ultra.

That’s only because they have trouble taking the test.

I never had a good memory, but I often bragged growing up because I barely studied or whatever. I was smart enough just to retain the information once and ‘pass’ and move on. I barely showed up and did the minimal amount of work required. My parents weren’t academics to say the least…it was video games video games and video games and that’s it…

I have the memory of a gold fish.

You can either make excuses or face the truth. I don’t care either way.

What is the logical reason why sz iq is lower? It makes no sense. Sz affects everyone regardless of demographic.

"## Abstract

Background: Schizophrenia patients are typically found to have low IQ both pre- and post-onset, in comparison to the general population. However, a subgroup of patients displays above average IQ pre-onset."

4 Likes

I got a good pedigree both my parents are smart but yea I’m not really schizophrenic I don’t think. IQ is stupid though and like everybody thinks their smart. I just want to be happy and have a roof over my head and food on the table for as long as I live. People brag about their smarts everybody is so great and I just strive to be happy.

2 Likes

I’ve met dumb doctors dumb phd s and dumb lawyers all kinds of people ! I’ve met smart coke heads and stuff too. Who cares honestly. Nobody in the real world cares what your IQ is. You don’t need to be super smart to have a good life!

1 Like

ok yeah wasnt really thinking about the IQ part as much as a vivid memory

I don’t have a photographic memory, but I can rememeber past lives that are unmeasurable. Past life existences, which comes off as delusional…Probably got hundreds, thousands, or something or more of them. I relive them and live them in every life. So ya, in that way, I got a vivid photographic memory for non-real events that happened aeons ago in a past life/parallel universe. Sucks to be me…

Not that I’ve noticed. SZs seem to run the range from very intelligent to plank thick stupid, just like the rest of the population. If anything, someone with SZ is more likely to act like they have lower IQ rather than higher in my own experience (annecdotal, I know).

1 Like

In my experience, no, most schizophrenics have taken such a cognitive hit that even if you wash away all the delusions and psychosis, you’re still left with the human equivalent of an above-ground pool. Notice I said MOST schizophrenics. Even on these faceless boards, I’ve seen some outright brilliance, and stuff that is as stupid as eating mud. Just like any slice of the population.

1 Like

Taken as a group schizophrenic people are of below average intelligence.Taken individually there are some really smart schizophrenic people. Through being on high IQ FB groups I know some ultra intelligent schizophrenic people. I’m far from stupid, but comparatively speaking they make me look like the dumber part of ‘Dumb and dumber’. Those people though are an exception rather than the norm.

1 Like

Not for me i havent. Im a dumb git at times. I think the myth that we are genuises only came about cos of the film Beautful Mind.

2 Likes