Does karma really exist?

I’d like opinions on this. I’ve probably been kicked by it a few times.

I think it exists sometimes and in some ways, but I still think we need to pursue justice ourselves. And who is to say who deserves what? How could Adolph Hitler and Joseph Stalin ever get the full measure of what they deserve. It almost makes me wish there was a hell for them to go to.

1 Like

I live in a way that I believe it does, i try my best to not be a negative person and put out negative energy in the world so hopefully the universe doesn’t screw me.

1 Like

Karma is a lot more complicated than you might imagine. This topic has come up a few times on here and my view about Karma was always, I do not believe in it because lots of good things happen to bad people and many bad people get away with being rotten andf dishonest yet they can live happy lives even though they get away with murder. And a lot of pious peoole who have lived good honest lives can have the worst kinds of stuff happen to them though they are good people and never harmed anyone.

This is my argument against Karma being real. I do not believe that Karma is some law of the universe or some law of physics which applies to all living things. It just doesn’t work. If it works for some people why shouldn’t it work for others? But an Indian member on here explained to me that in some countries Karma is almost a religion and he explained that it goes a lot deeper than “Why do good things happen to bad people and why do bad things happen to good people?”. I think for the average Joe living in America this is how they understand it but it’s not that simple.

4 Likes

I think that if karma were real the world would be in much better shape.

1 Like

But 3 billion believers of Karma don’t give a crap about what I say about it. It’s not going to change their opinion if they believe in Karma.

basically put… what goes around comes around… as you sow, so shall you reap. It’s hard to understand. In Eastern religions not everything comes around within the span of one life so it’s confusing lol

2 Likes

I believe karma is real, but I don’t know for sure, I can’t prove it.

There’s something similar in the Bible I think, as VanDam mentions, ‘you reap what you sow’ so it’s not just a belief in Eastern Religions.

1 Like

I personally believe in Karma, but not the simplified, ‘My name is Earl’ version of it where you do good and immediately win the lottery.
It’s hard to explain. And I won’t try, as religious discussions are against forum policy.

But to answer your question, Roxanna, nobody knows if Karma exists, but a lot of people believe it does.

No, not in the sense that you are probably thinking of it, but we are the universe, so if we are, and we behave in moral context which is to acutely considerate of what others are going to think, the universal effect of that is quite often the same in return from those people. So in a way there is this socialitic behavior bouncing back and forth between the tribic members of a species, but this is not only true of the human species.

What is something you can rely on is that acute moral awareness and practice over the years develops virtues rather than vices. This is superior to vices in the most practical sense.

Curiously many smart people try to think very logically and socialitically, but they do not believe in morality. It is very real, and it is very necessary both as our kind of species and to know and behave aware of for the consequences are real.

If someone acts illogically, the consequences are real, and the same is true of acting immorally or even amorally sometimes. Acting with positive sociality or with negative begets consequences likewise.

I find that there is a right balance through life where not too much of any of these three will get you far, and thus you won’t focus to minimally on any one of these three: sociality, morality, and logic.

Those who focus on logic too much, don’t focus on the other too enough, so they become psychopathic.

Those who focus on sociality too much, so they don’t focus on the other two become sociopathic.

Those who focus on morality too much don’t focus on the other two, and this is like dragging a giant anchor in life limiting them very considerably.

But with enough logic a person can figure out things aptly. With enough sociality a person can figure out and navigate the socialitic people world very aptly. With enough moral focus a person can bear very much for the sake of other people…more than immoral people can imagine.

So these things are real, but there is no factory keeping points, and going to give you frequent moral points or something in the end. Instead you know what you are making your people, your world, the future of them, and yourself which is to be virtuous or of vice because what you think, do, feel, believe, and act out is recorded in your brain. You’re mind comes from your brain, and it’s your mind that is your whole world including yourself and others and how you understand them all especially how you remember them over the years of your life. Frankly it means you’re a time capsule of captures experience information, and you calculate with that information, so in the end you’re either processing with acts of virtue or vice.

In my experience I had to be very strong, fast, and fierce to be moral, true, and honest because people had a kind of animalistic feeling about it. It causes them to react that way, and I know why mindologically. I would have to fix each and everyone of them as they one by one stuck their heads out so to speak only to get it from me.

I think a person can say and do absolutely anything, but if a person is unjust, I can’t give that a green light. I never have, and I never will.

I became virtuous for carrying the moral anchor. I became rich for carrying the logic. Socially I’m working on it, but I’m getting their socially now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think as an idea it can be helpful in making good decisions but I don’t think it exists outside your mind.

Yes I think karma and reincarnation exists. It can explain why seemingly good people struggle in life while others don’t. They are paying back for some unwise action they did in a past life or this life.

2 Likes

Maybe the world is unjust??

No, I don’t believe in karma. Sometimes things happen, whether a person deserves it or not.

Yes, and I believe it can follow you into your next lives.

1 Like

There is karma but not everything that happens in life is karma. For example if I go to 7-11 and choose coke instead of pepsi that is not karma. That is free will. Some people get into determinist views of karma

I have my doubts about free will. Maybe we don’t have it. Maybe we have a little. But to me, it seems we don’t. Things don’t seem random to me either. Maybe in a different universe you drank the pepsi, but that doesn’t make it seem you have free will. Maybe you always choose the coke and never know the difference. It just seems like you have free will, but you are in a sense programmed to make the same choices unless some outside force or (inner force) compels you otherwise.

I tend to believe we live in a very deterministic universe.

I think it’s good to believe and act as if we have free will even though we may not

1 Like

In the end, nothing can be changed. Even if you invented a time machine, it was destiny for you to change time. However it’s healthy to live as if you’ve got free will. :sunny:

1 Like

I believe that no one gets away with anything. Not a single thing!

The notion of karma is set against a backdrop of reincarnation, and that is how it seems that some people don’t get the karma in this life, but have no fear it will roll over. It is also justification for suffering in this life when you don’t think you deserve it. This also suggests that the notion of not knowing why you suffer indicates that the suffering is multiplied as you cannot fathom as to why one suffers so.

Just think the people who seem to get away with it may get schizophrenia in the next life. :wink: