Does drug use cause sz?

I dunno how i feel about the whole predisposed argument. If it means all my choices i made were leading me to a path of destruction, then yes its true. But if its saying a switch was waiting to be flipped at any given moment because it was in my genetics. I dont buy it. Because if any of this never happened to me that argument would be bull. Its a conditional argument

Your thinking is interesting.

1 Like

The drug exposed or unleashed the disorder but it didn’t cause sza, it just triggered it for me.

What I’m trying to understand is whether your symptoms started after you took it and never went away or if you just went psychotic from it and returned back to normal only to have psychosis come back later and become sza :slight_smile:

I think that the illness was in my genetics and that both my environment of abuse and pot use triggered it.

1 Like

I was born with sza/bipolar and displayed some symptoms since childhood.

My disorder intensified after taking the drug.
It wasn’t a one time incident.

My symptoms continued after taking the drug and never went away.

1 Like

Stress can be a trigger too. If I were to say there was a trigger for me that might be it

2 Likes

I took drugs one time and didnt get psychotic straight after. But then a few months later I did, when I was very stressed n had been for months.
plus i think it might run in my uncles/uncle so it may just have speeded the process up who knows
and maybe worsened it :frowning:

I think if your going to get it you will with drugs or without drugs. Do drugs speed things up or trigger them idk. We do know they can cause psychosis or make psychosis worse for someone already with the illness.

When my psychosis showed up 10 months ago I was doing LSD every few weeks to a month for a year prior and I went on an acid binge taking a very high dose right around the time I first heard the voices. And I was hearing disembodied whispering at night when smoking weed for months prior to when the first full blown voice occurred. Because the psychosis coincided with taking LSD heavily, it’s hard for me to say the acid had nothing to do with my psychosis. I probably had a genetic susceptibility to psychosis or sz and the LSD unmasked it. Although I’m not sure because according to a study weed is more than twice as likely to induce psychosis as LSD.

1 Like

I just read a few articles on lsd induced sz. The drug was never mentioned to cause sz,just trigger, or worsen mild sz.

I used to do alot of lsd purple ohmes when i was younger. And shrooms. And im sure it just added to the genetic risk of my vulnerbality for Sz. I believe i was just more prone to it - thru different factors that affected my life. My upbringing was emotionally abusive and controlling - which left me with anxiety and lack of confidence - and of course the drugs and alcohol increased my risk. But i also believe there is a genetic factor - as my cousin is Sz as well - and im positive my mother has MH problems. For me - its a combination of factors that gave me Schizophrenia. And to be honest - im glad i can put a name to my difficultys now that im diagnosed. Its helped me recover.

I used a lot of drugs when I was younger and more free spirited. I don’t regret any of it. The sz actually appeared well after I had been done using drugs. Stress is what triggered my illness.

Hard to say. It can cause a doctor to diagnose it, though.

The simple answer is “no;” drugs do not cause schizophrenia. A full answer is very complicated and a thoroughly full answer is beyond my expertise.

Science has many unproven theories as to the cause of schizophrenia. Genetics seems to have significant support and I believe that heredity and genes are a cause of most cases of schizophrenia. The specific genetic factor has not been determined but I suspect that developments in the DNA studies will yield answers in the coming decade.

Consensus opinion is that many people have a predisposition for schizophrenia but most do not develop the condition. Mainly because it never gets triggered. The trigger is also not well defined but it appears that environmental stressors is the most likely factor. Can drugs be the trigger? It is possible, but it does not seem plausible in my opinion.

Without doubt, drugs can cause symptoms which could be mistaken as schizophrenia. However, the rules of diagnosis require 6 months of observable data; presumably, the mistake would be corrected long before the 6 months are complete. On the other hand, a habitual drug user may show psychosis and other schizophrenia-like symptoms consistently for the 6 months; further, a person prescribed the wrong medication who diligently does as instructed by their doctor, would possibly display schizophrenia-like symptoms for those 6 months.

I think, and I’m not an expert it’s just an uneducated guess, that drugs may trigger sz/sza in people already susceptible. Kind of the same way stress doesn’t cause sz but it can trigger it, like it did for me.

If drugs caused schizophrenia then I do believe more than 1% of the population would be schizophrenic.

I never took any drugs in my life before I developed schizophrenia. Not even alcohol.

absolutley . i totally agree.

1 Like

I think drugs and alcohol trigger people who are already predispositioned for sz/sza. In my case Ive never used drugs but i drank a fair bit which has brought on sz symptoms i wouldnt have experienced until i was older (i think)

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.