Does caffeine mess with medication?

I know i can look it up but has anyone had a problem with caffeine and meds?

2 Likes

It doesn’t affect abilify which you’re on. It can affect other APs though.

I have been drinking coffee all day for the last month. I have no t noticed a difference

Yes. It increases dopamine.

2 Likes

http://www.psychiatrictimes.com/addiction/coffee-cigarettes-and-meds-what-are-metabolic-effects

Second-generation antipsychotics that are not metabolized by CYP1A2 should not be affected by either smoking or caffeine. Thus, smoking or caffeine intake should not influence dosing of aripiprazole (Abilify) and risperidone (Risperdal) (the metabolism of both depends on CYP2D6 and CYP3A4) (Prior and Baker, 2003; Swainston Harrison and Perry, 2004), quetiapine (Seroquel) (mainly metabolized by CYP3A4), and ziprasidone (Geodon) (mainly metabolized by an aldehyde oxidase and CYP3A4) (Prior and Baker, 2003). On the other hand, the metabolism of clozapine (Clozaril) and olanzapine (Zyprexa) is mainly dependent on CYP1A2 and UGTs, and hence their levels are affected by smoking and caffeine. The Table lists the effects of smoking and caffeine on second-generation antipsychotics.

2 Likes

I don’t think so but I also don’t think it’s been studied that much to be honest. Caffeine has an interesting interaction with modafinil. If I don’t take modafinil, caffeine has minimal effect on me. If I do take modafinil, suddenly a large cup of coffee can have me up all night long. It enhances the caffeine I guess.

I read that caffeine has an effect on the sz illness itself .so i guess its in combinatipn…

I had to quit Caffeine recently, not sure what med its mixing with, but just a little flushes me right out, I take meds for other stuff though

My plan is to not use caffeine on the weekends, so it works better during the week. A cup or 2 of coffee seems harmless to me.

Interesting question.
My thought is that liver enzymes function differently when you are taking these medications. This is true not only with antipsychotic medications but will often happen with other medications as well. Even some foods can affect how medications are metabolized. Tobacco use impacts this as well. It is commendable that you know this and can make adjustments in your lifestyle.

I highly doubt it. Stimulants don’t interact with meds as far as I know. I could be wrong.

You’re not supposed to have any caffeine with schizophrenia. It stimulates neurotransmitters that cause symptoms.

2 Likes

i cant even touch caffeine, it causes psychosis to me

I take a lot of coffees in the day. It helps me. My illness is different, I am on the other hand of the thing. I am like asleep in my illness etc etc. For the info, I take Zyprexa.

I drank ten cups of coffee a day for forty years. I finally decided it would be simpler, cheaper, and easier just to take caffeine pills. Most days I take two 200 mg pills. I think my dependence on caffeine is mostly psychological. When I was on Haldol caffeine didn’t touch me. I still drank it out of habit, though. I think that when I get jittery now it is mainly a due to a psychological dependence on caffeine that I have. I don’t think caffeine affects my Geodon or my Seroquel. It is kind of psychologically defeatist to have such a dependency - saying I can’t get through the day without caffeine.

And that’s why I always drink 100% decaf. coffee.

I started to feel sick with high dosages of caffeine intake, specially taking clozapine too. Coffee did not work as stimulant but put me very sleepy with seizures. There is some evidence about clozapine and the effect of caffeine, and also the quantity. I stopped last January with this vicious substance.

Caffeine even if your medicated can trigger psychosis while it’s affecting you. I am on meds now where I can drink coffee and be ok but many other times is made me temporarily ill. Avoiding caffeine is a good idea for the general psychotic person or those who are always on the verge of psychosis, try decaf instead or even taking l-theanine with the caffeine if you must. Best avoided although coffee is such an everyday item that it’s hard to avoid at all times, I was on a self imposed no caffeine diet but I would occasionally forget and pay for it by getting psychotic within half an hour. Now I’m ok with caffeine which I put down to Zuclopenthixol.

Caffeine doesn’t make me psychotic but it does make me wired and on edge and it does keep me up all night long to where I can’t sleep. So, I just drink 100% decaffeinated.

Caffeine is a stimulant so technically it’s bad for people with SZ

2 Likes