Do you think the police should have a voluntary mental illness list?

I think they should have a list you can voluntarily put yourself on so you don’t get shot if you are delusional or hallucinating. What do you think?

• Yes
  • No
  • Maybe/Unsure

0 voters

They’ll be more aggressive and violent toward you if they know you’re mentally ill

3 Likes

We have had a lot of citizens shooting at each other here. The mayor asked the city council to declare an emergency. They declared a health emergency and are trying to get help dealing with people with mental illness and drug abuse.

1 Like

I hope it helps

1 Like

I completely agree with @CoCo
Once the cops get a whiff that you have a mental illness they will become even more aggressive towards you.

2 Likes

I have never known the police to get aggressive or violent with me. My mom called them a lot when I was unmedicated.

You’re very lucky. People with mental illness get abused and worse all the time by police

3 Likes

They were pretty good to me back when I was drunk in public a lot. I’d be dead now if not for them.

2 Likes

You can get a medical bracelet for that. My pdoc told me to get one if I go on vacations

4 Likes

Here in the UK if you are nicked and are schizophrenic, you are given an “appropriate adult”.

Used to piss me off cos it meant waiting in the cells longer for them to turn up with your solicitor.

1 Like

Thanks @LevelJ1. Where can you get a medical bracelet?

1 Like

I wear a medical alert tag, a dogtag around my neck. On it, it has my diagnosis, and says that I am lucid on meds, and that my meds list is on my phone. Then it has my name and emergency contacts.

7 Likes

There are plenty of sites online where you can have one made. Just google medical alert bracelet, and a bunch of sites will pop up. Then you can look through them and find one you like.

4 Likes

I used to have a couple of medical id bracelets.

2 Likes

Thanks @Pandy 15

2 Likes

Probably online there is a bunch of sites that offer them. Or maybe ask a pharmacy about it.

It would be like a universal medical ID tag.
It won’t look like a medical tag it could just look like a nice bracelet with the logo or writing underneath

2 Likes

no, mental illness is private info…that’s why observation and doctor notes on us are not allowed to be shared…

1 Like

Here they have a phone app called “Smart911” where you can put your diagnosis, meds, pets, etc. so if you call 911 those things show up to the dispatcher so they can send out a crisis intervention team with training on dealing with people with mental illness.

1 Like

My mom used to tell them that. Now that she is dead and I am living alone, I don’t have anyone to warn them about my Sz.

Some of the police procedures in making arrests are questionable, like when they make you lie face down on the ground before they handcuff you. They’ve done that to me, and it is hard to take. I saw a clip on tv where a cop had pulled this black guy over, and I think all the policeman had on the guy was a ticketable offense. The policeman tried to make this guy lay face down on bare dirt, and the guy couldn’t bring himself to do it. He got in a fist fight with the policeman, and the cop pulled his gun and shot the guy. He didn’t kill the guy, but that black guy got a LOT of new charges against him. He might have even had to do some hard time. It was so unnecessary for this cop to try to make this black guy lay face first in the dirt. A routine traffic stop turned into a felony arrest. The cops should not use this procedure unless the guy is manifestly dangerous.

1 Like