Schizophrenia.com

Do you think people with mental illness have more gripes about their childhood?

I used to have a lot of gripes about my parents, but having been stable for a while, they seem to be getting less.

Just wondering what the reason is?

I think in the early days off illness I kinda blamed my parents etc but really don’t give a ■■■■ now. They have good times and bad times but overall they are good people.

4 Likes

I think the reason I got so messed up…

My Dad is Spock and my Mom is Mary Poppins. My whole life I haven’t been sure if I should open my own Accounting business, or write a song and dance musical.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

I do not want to go to the past, it is better in that way, but I have some childhood traumas as scars in my finger remind me every day, better not to go the past, it is happier in that way. Everything is forgiven.

1 Like

ss…mental illness starts from childhood…
as my situation is concerned…it (M.I) illness started from very young age…
i was nurtured in very worse family circumstances…it waas start of my dark life…
no love care and affection…always hatred bad words .no supports emotionally turned out.
now i am sz have szaff…
it started form mild depression to phobia anxiety and sz uncurable…
if i have got chance to see doc @ earlier phase of my suffering i would have got cured…
leave those painful moment
trying to live in peace…
take care…:pray:

1 Like

Well, there’s complaining that things weren’t perfect, and then there’s grappling with the actual damage that is done by chronic neglect/abuse, and trauma. Things weren’t perfect for me, and that’s something to look at and talk about and gain peace about. And then there was the abuse and neglect that genuinely scars the psyche. I will live with and deal with who that made me for the rest of my life. It doesn’t have to be with bitterness, etc. but it can’t really be ignored. I think I am at the point where I definitely forgive my parents for their failings. They really did just do what they could. I think getting over the victim mentality is crucial to healing. Letting go of hurt feelings and just no longer feeling the sting of it is part of recovery, but knowing I’m scarred in some ways is just understanding the truth.

2 Likes

I don’t hold resentment for anyone. Not my bullies at school and not my parents. But it had a huge part of play in my illness

1 Like

During the 70’s it was “normal” to find your parents and family “dysfunctional” and to gripe about them. It was the era of self-help books.

1 Like

I romanticized my childhood for a long time. Now I know I’ve blocked a lot of bad things about my dad out, and there’s a reason why I developed depression and my fearfulness that eventually caused me to get PTSD from my psychosis. So I guess I was the opposite since I always looked back on my childhood as the pinnacle of my life, since it was before all my bad mental health issues started.

People with mental health problems often had parent(s) with mental health problems. Makes for quite the childhood when your whole family has issues, oh and some people’s issues are acknowledged while others’ are not.

My parents were in a battle for domination which wasn’t surprising given their respective backgrounds. I was the proverbial dog to kick, I guess they were not so much bad as very flawed. There wasn’t much emotional closeness.
I certainly don’t think it helped especially as they were too obsessed with arguing to notice things they should have done. The worst effect of childhood was the bullying though.
Since my dad has been married to his second wife,a democrat voting liberal jew, he has mellowed a lot and toned down his previous conservatism. Occasionally there’s even signs of concern.
My mother always saw me as the awkward, baby/toddler/child etc. A compliment was usually followed by two negatives. It didn’t help that she was a problem drinker/alcoholic.
It affected her parenting skills.

I may be the odd one out. I really don’t have any gripes about my childhood. My parents divorced when I was very young, too young to realise, but Mum met my stepdad when she started working and he is awesome so I never knew any different. I’ve had a very lucky life.

2 Likes

I’m happy for you, @anon84763962. I’m in the ‘gripe’ category myself, but I love hearing about stories like yours.

1 Like

I think I have a version of ‘Child Star’ syndrome…

I was the best in class athlete growing up among my peers. And I was like The Fonz in middle school. All of the gals would swoon over me.

Then High School came and it all went south. I was a little fish in a big pond, and my life has never really recovered since.

The psychiatrists taught us to gripe. And then the psychologists started complaining because we whine. And now they want to put us into the football game without helmets. Or train our minds to be other than they are.

Personally I am going through councelling I was abused verbally physically and emotionally as a child so I have some issues . I will not be dwelling in my last forever I am finding out why I am the way I am and it is helping.
I decided after I’ve finished ongoing counclling I will burn my old diqries from the past in ceremony in my back garden to signify letting go of the past.
My councllor said however she meets pole in their 60 s
Still affected by it.
We are told oh forgive and forget but If you haven’t processed it it’s playing q game of nothing ever happened.
When people are abused as children the brqin actually changes.
We are not meant to be unsafe in our homes.
It makes you anxious hypervigilant.
And for me it has meant I can be quite aggressive when I’m not thinking rationally.
If you were abused as a child or q child of an alcoholic it will affect you no doubt about that.