Do you suffer from avolition(Lack of motivation)?

Do you have avolition because of your sz or sza? I do. Sometimes I find it difficult to get up the motivation to even walk the dog. It’s my worst symptom besides Anhedonia.

9 Likes

I don’t know.

I never feel like doing stuff,

But I always get stuff done.

Don’t always feel motivated.

Not sure.

1 Like

Avolition. It’s my biggest complaint. It’s constantly bad.

I’ve started getting this too. In the last few months.

I’m afraid to try antidepressants, but I doubt they’ll help me anyway.

1 Like

I used to work 2 jobs totaling about 60 hours a week prior to being diagnosed with sz. I wish I could get that drive back.

3 Likes

Antidepressants did nothing for my negative symptoms.

2 Likes

It is harder for me to sit down and read a book all the way through, now.

1 Like

Can’t really read that well as compared to last time. See how.

1 Like

I wanted to go back to work almost immediately after recovery, however I was getting fatigued and winded after about 10min of work, I did my best but I was starting to get panic attacks at the thought of going to work.

I ended up not being able to make it for long. I wish I could’ve, I really enjoyed the money.

3 Likes

Yes, I do. That’s why I quit my studies. Wasn’t able to keep the motivation going.

2 Likes

What was your work environment like? Home environment?

1 Like

Yes. I hate it. Avolition and anhedonia together is awful

3 Likes

Yes, but it did improve when an antidepressant was added

1 Like

All I can do is drink a lot of caffeine, keep a positive attitude, and try to make it through the day

3 Likes

Yes. I go through periods where its really bad and I dont even want to do things that I enjoy.

3 Likes

Yes I have this big time. :poultry_leg::poultry_leg::poultry_leg:

3 Likes

Yes, I experience lack of motivation but it comes in waves and then disappears for a short while with me

I live for the episodes when it is absent and I can focus on getting stuff done

3 Likes

Yes I do. But I still get something done everyday. I don’t want to do anything but I force myself to go through the motions

2 Likes

Yes I can really understand this unfortunately. I sure have a lack of motivation problem. I didn’t know there was a term for it! My therapist says I have this and other negative symptoms too. I can’t do much but sit on my chair all day and either play on my phone or stare off into space. Before I got sick I used to be a student and work a job at the same time! Now I don’t even want to be around anyone or do anything or leave my house.

1 Like

A lot of people on the outside, aka normies, mistake this for laziness. I certainly feel lazy – but it’s a symptom of this illness. I don’t do much during the day, except manage my symptoms and try to maintain interest in the few hobbies I have. Avolition (and anhedonia) are certainly real

4 Likes

I get my depressive states, but I’d like to say my motivation has improved.

1 Like