Do you like Alan Watts?

I used to listen to his talks to fall asleep. It brought me good vibes.

I´ve read a book of him and it was pretty ok.

Do you like his talks? Do they resonate with you in any way?

3 Likes

I’m not interested in Buddhism, Taoism, or Hinduism and that’s what he writes and lectures about

4 Likes

In short, yes.

1 Like

Never heard of him.

2 Likes

I listened to some of his talks, seems pretty knowledgable about psychology. Taught me about how making pleasure your highest calling sends you to a self made hell.

2 Likes

The ancient Greek philosopher Epicurus said that the pursuit of pleasure was the meaning of life, but I think the pleasures of simple, nourishing food, friendship, were the types of pleasure he meant. The Romans probably changed his philosophy to mean unbridled self indulgence.

2 Likes

My brother really likes him. He doesn’t really do it for me. I prefer my philosophy to be more physically observable.

2 Likes

I enjoyed his book on Zen. His other works seem well thought out and informative.

:innocent:

2 Likes

What about the man?

1 Like

Oh yes. He has great insight and perspective.

1 Like

I like listening to Alan Watts. I think he has a soothing voice.

1 Like

I tried listening to his talks because a friend asked me to. They also made me fall asleep, although not for good reasons. He’s not my cup of tea.

1 Like

Toward the end of his life, he called himself “a philosophical entertainer”.

1 Like

He was entertaining, you can´t deny that. Great speeches imo, from a “college talk” view. I´ve had professors with way less skills on that.

Man… now that I´m getting into listening to him again I enjoy almost everything he has to say.

The only thing I don´t agree with is the “letting go” or “don´t try” part of his talks: Somehow we should end up mastering something when we don´t try anymore…

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.