Do you have a job despite schizophrenia?

Do you have a job? And if so, was it hard to get it?

2 Likes

I have a job. A federal job. I started trying to get one in 2012 and didn’t get hired until 2019. I don’t really like it but it’s a second career and I can get another retirement out of it after 10 years.

2 Likes

I have a part time job. It was easy to get, I was offered the job by the mom of my daughter’s friend when I was talking about how no one would hire me due to sza. We’ve become pretty good friends.

3 Likes

i was previously working with my own small business when i got ill in 2011, so it kept me afloat. I could take days off whenever needed and just a lot of flexibility. Now I am fairly recovered so I am going back to school. Its been a long journey to get there. The business was really a good crutch. I didn’t feel very challenged with it though even though good money so I decided to look into taking a big risk and going back to school.

I started thinking about going back to school in 2015, got to a point to sell in 2018. then it took me another 2 years of , therapy and treatment plans trial and error to get to where I am right now.

2 Likes

I will plan to get one by end of October. But it’s not gonna be full time.

3 Likes

I have a volunteer job and it keeps me busy. My bread comes from disability pension and that is cool and works for me.

3 Likes

I used to have an important IT job, but it was too advanced for me, and I could not handle dealing with the upper management in the company - it just made me very ill and mentally fractured.

I have gone back to Landscaping, which is something I did when I left school for about 8 years. It’s nice being outside, but it has it’s own different stressors.

Job interview for an IT role that they will train me to do on the job monday over microsoft teams. I hope this will be successful, as Landscaping is not a long term option.

I also have been accepted on a Nursing course, but I am waiting till monday before I make a decision on that

5 Likes

I just started a full time job teaching English in Southeast Asia. It’s a bit stressful working full time…

3 Likes

Good luck with your next move!

1 Like

Thanks @VanDam I am a little nervous, but it should hopefully be ok.

I am unsure how much prior technical knowledge is required, but I am sure they will brief me on this

1 Like

It’s always nerve wracking dealing with new job prospects. And starting the new gig. Be careful to stay relaxed and don’t stress yourself out. Stress is such a killer for us…

1 Like

Totally get the stress thing.

I left my old job on the 9th March just before lockdown.

The job market is about to get pretty crowded with all those being made unemployed.

I don’t think this bodes well when supply is likely being suppressed by the last few months

1 Like

Hopefully i’ll work in the IT. But i have to learn the skills. self-taught at the moment.

2 Likes

I’m searching for a job…part time. It will not be easy

1 Like

Yeah i have a job. A demanding one. Its called Managaing my Mental Health.

1 Like

I’ve had numerous jobs in the past. Some retail, some hospitality, factory work and the like. But haven’t worked in about a year and a half. Can hardly imagine enduring the stress of working at the moment though. And usually a while after I get some work I have a panic attack or get hospitalised and lose my job.

1 Like

Sorry what I said probably isn’t very helpful or encouraging.

1 Like

Dont worry mate. I havent worked since i was 19 anyway - and im 46 this year. I simply couldnt do it.

1 Like

It’s okay, no need to apologize :grinning:

I normally work two part-time jobs, but one of those is shut down due to COVID, so it’s just two nights/week in a gas station. I ■■■■■■■ hate it.

2 Likes