Do you give your voices a name?

Ive been hearing voices since i was 17 (im now 44) and only been diagnosed Sz for 2.5 years, tho they tell me ive had it much longer.
I named my comforting voice “vicky” - she told me her name and it makes it easier to tell her to bugger off when she is being nasty.
Its also easier to explain to my social worker saying “vickys” annoying you when your in public in a coffee shop.

Do you name yours? I find it helpful. Its easier to swear out load to them when naming them, or did you find it un-helpful?

It was mentioned i might be “feeding” my delusions giving them validity with a name. I disagree. I dunno. Do any of you name your voices?

3 Likes

I don’t like to give them any power, so no.

4 Likes

Yes, they introduce themselves.
Goddess Annette, Louisa, Isidore,
Jesus, Lucifer, Meher Baba, Unknown demons

Yes, i thought about that too - i am giving them power in a sense - but mine are not always nasty - so for me personally i dont mind so much.

2 Likes

Wow, thats quite a list, That would scare me to be honest. If mine was horrible parhaps i would not engage so much.

1 Like

Usually they are random neutral things. But it can go bad

1 Like

My bad voice is a male, his name is Alien
Got a good female voice on occasion too, her name is Sarah

Duane, Eugene and madchen.

I don’t name my voices. As @GrayBear said, I don’t like to give them any more power than they already have.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses all. I know we name them. But do you get “dragged into” believing there real? cos i struggle with vicky until i know a tablet will make her go away?

mine name themselves but sometimes I name them too. One I named “Snaggletooth” because I picture a snaggle toothed grin every time I start to hear him. They usually give a name to me though because they know that I don’t like when they don’t.

1 Like

I used to have names for them when I was younger, but now I feel like it gives them power so I don’t call them by name anymore.

1 Like

My main voice used to be called “Vicky” too. Now it’s “Chitr”, pronounced “kitter”, named after one of the angels that record the conscious mind’s actions in Sikh lore.

1 Like

I had my main voice, Jasper, and Ms. Einstein, Dividend, and Spark. I don’t really think of them as having names anymore except sometimes they’ll tell me “I’m Dividend” or something.

I don’t name them. They are almost always different voices.

1 Like

Mine definitely don’t have names. They are just random, unintelligible and benign voices. They can be either male or female, but are usually male.

1 Like

I think the idea that works for me is to become aware of them and then ignore them.

Sometimes they give a name but no, I don’t intentionally name them

All the voices I’ve ever had have been people that I’ve known of irl only. I’ve never had an unfamiliar voice

All of mine are called ‘asio’… which is Australias domestic intelligence agency. I just call them that, whether or not I believe its them.