Do you frequent libraries?

My library is nothing like they were in the past. It can be one of the loudest places in town. People often socialize there or teach others or do some other business. I’ve given up attempting to read there, I need silence to concentrate and I quit reading, but it’s a great place to draw and write. A lot of weirdos hang out there though that really don’t use it as you should. It’s impossible for the librarians to discipline anyone when everyone breaks the rules. I’m going today when they open at ten a.m. and I have plenty to do.

2 Likes

I have not used a library in years.

2 Likes

You must have a better place to be!

3 Likes

Almost every month… lol

2 Likes

Living in NJ, I became Ill because of the noise there. I used to go to libraries and bookstores seeking quiet. It’s true that libraries aren’t what they used to be. Here in MD, I have a college library and the county library. I have the quiet I need.

3 Likes

I have stopped going for this reason mainly. Also lots of mentally ill homeless people there as they have no place else to go and they are … unruly.

4 Likes

Hm. If people act up we send them out. But no one really does act a fool. We ask them to stop doing something and they stop. Maybe because we don’t take any bs?

As for not being quiet anymore, that’s because most libraries that are not academic ones are now more of a comminity center.

People come in to leaen computers, make copies, send faxes, learn to job hunt, have virtual meetings, do school online, socialize, and we even have a summwr reading day camp with tons of kids we cook lunch for.

4 Likes

I’ve not got a book out of the library for a decade or more. Self service puts me off. I always worry about taking too long, and people having a go at me.

2 Likes

Self service? They make you check out your own books there?

2 Likes

You check out and return books via things like this.

3 Likes

They do that in our libraries too, but I still go to the person at the desk to check me out, just like I do in the stores.

3 Likes

That’s wild. Our library is too small and rural for such a thing.

4 Likes

I reserved a book today online from the local library. We also have the self-service for lending books and bringing them back.

3 Likes

I like doing things the old fashioned way and having people help me in the library and stores.

4 Likes

I haven’t been in our library for awhile, but they have tight security officers. I like to sit there reading magazines and newspapers. Our library is orderly.

5 Likes

I used to go to the library all the time but when I got sick I stopped going only go sometimes now, my local library has hardly any people

2 Likes

I go to our library often. I borrow DVDs. They have also an Internet service where I can watch movies on the net.

3 Likes

I don’t actually go inside the library except to pick up books I’ve reserved.

I have a strong delusion that is two fold - one is that written and spoken words physically attack me and try to suffocate me, and the other is that 3 men follow me to steal my words (thoughts).

I can’t handle being inside the library with all those words. And then 3 men are always there looking for me.

I know, that makes ZERO sense, but sz sometimes doesn’t. It gets better with the right meds, but never goes fully away. I am still looking for the right dose of my new med, so am still shaky.

I recently had 11 library books, but one day I couldn’t handle the pressure of all the words attacking me, so I put them all in the closet and then had my husband drive me to return them two weeks early. I hope to be able to get more books in the near future when my meds are finally finalized. But I won’t make the mistake of getting 11 at once again, maybe half that.

sigh

2 Likes

I stopped reading for awhile years ago because I thought I was making the stories real.

I like the words in books that are hidden from the masses.

2 Likes

I prefer dealing with human beings over self service computers. What if I have questions?

2 Likes