Schizophrenia.com

Do you exercise much?

I’ve recently started running. I’m so impressed I’m able to run. Tobacco has made it all much harder and even affected my coordination, or the sz. But I am powering on for now and i think it is having mental benefit,

I hope to lose weight or turn what’s there into muscle mass. Pretty exciting time for me because of this.

When I left the psychiatric hospital, I was unable to move much at all. And I was just completely uncoordinated - it’s been two years now.

I don’t even need to use stimulants most of the time, I am able to get on with it. Which I think is a remarkable level of recovery

Fitness is achievable for everyone with sz I think, as long as the positive symptoms are controlled - the negative ones you just have to keep fighting I feel.

So anyway, how about you?

8 Likes

We had a gym in mental hospital and I exercised there when I was in mental hospital.

1 Like

Daily walking, Tai Chi every second day with some modifications.

3 Likes

Not anymore. But I used to before I got sick. I was very active and healthy. I even rode my bmx bike 10 miles each day in high school. Now, I just sit on my ass all day. Smoke and have copious amounts of caffeine.

I think if I took better care of myself and exercised, I would feel 5-10x better. I tried it but it’s short lived.

We had that too, but I was too weak and uncoordinated to run much at all, I only ever walked on the treadmill.

But ever since I started running I’ve even managed to do some sprinting. I’m actually amazed.

Antipsychotics beat up your body quite a lot,

4 Likes

They say 30 minutes a week is all we need to maintain the odds of favourable health.

Tai chi sounds interesting. I don’t have any underlying health conditions as far as I am aware of. I’m thinking of taking up boxing. I watched a fight yesterday and it looked like fun.

2 Likes

145 min of walking today! It just feels good.

4 Likes

Good on your mrsquirrel, I agree a lot. Light and breezy is what it feels to me atm. Something pleasant about it

2 Likes

Good luck with getting back to it. I took time as well. Like I say. Two years of inactivity, in which time my cholesterol levels have rocketed to what is normal for someone in his fifties or sixties, I’m in my mid 20s…

I thought I had a silent heart attack. That was the stimulus to getting around to the short runs I do.

4 Likes

Yes and it’s made a big difference in my life. I wish I started when I was 29 and not at 46 but I’m glad I did. Today I have jogged for 3km’s and just got back from a 10km bike ride. Exercise is so good for your mental health I’m sure.

8 Likes

I try to practice yoga for at least 25 to 40 minutes, 4 to 5 times a week. I do pretty good at it. It was keeping me flexible, strong and pain free for years and years. But everyone tells me I have aged over the last 3 weeks, what with the sudden eviction notice and the unexpected restraining order since then.

The following signs of aging have shown up in me in the last 3 weeks: my hair is whiter than before, (people tell me); every joint in my body aches with pain, I have a harder time moving now due to joint pain.

1 Like

When it’s open, I use the gym swimming pool and swim 600m 4x a week.

As well as this, I do a physically demanding job also, so that sorta counts as exercise.

Better than I was when I did none of that, and sat at my desk eating skittles all day

3 Likes

I’ve been training strenght about 1 hour twice a week for many years, but I just started using a elipse machine to do cardio training which I bought to have in my home. I only did 20 minutes thursday last week and yesterday and already I feel much better physically and mentally. I cleaned my house the same day I excersised which I had put off for like 2 months. I’m getting motivation, energy and much improved mood already. I will definitly stick to this and excited to see where it takes me in the long run.

2 Likes

Yes, at least 3 times a week after work, which is a very active job. I also do martial arts now with my uncle who is a teacher in it.

For my workouts I’ve been focusing on deadlifts and squats, but I occasionally do bench. After I lift, I run 20-30 flight of stairs, 10 of which is with 35 pound kettlebells. I work up a sweat for sure. Exercise is vital for me, without it I feel sluggish.

2 Likes

Congrats on the running.

For me I try to do some walking when I can.

1 Like

I just walk. Maybe 2-3 times a week a longer walk. I dont do sports.

Great that you started running… good!

I go for fast-paced walks, and in the summer I ride bicycles.

I don’t exercise much, because my joints hurt very easily if I strain them, and my heartrate and breathing gets really concerning.

Maybe I just haven’t found the right regimen.
I do enjoy yoga.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.