Do you/did you sleep a lot?

I used to take naps everyday and would sleep in. I couldn’t go without a lot of sleep. Now that I’m on Geodon I only sleep 7-8 hours a night and can’t take naps. I was reading that some people with schizophrenia sleep a lot.

Do you sleep a lot with schizophrenia or did you before medication?

7 Likes

I slept about 12 hours a day for over a decade. I had severe emotional problems and needed to just sleep until the depression passed. At 52 I am too old to successfully sleep a lot because of cognitive difficulties and back and leg aches. I thought recently I’d like to sleep forever.

4 Likes

The medicine enabled me to sleep.

4 Likes

On olanzapine I slept a lot
I’m on clozapine now and I usually get a good sleep and wake up early I rarely sleep in

6 Likes

I try to sleep as much as I can, bc then I feel alright the rest of day/night
I’m on clozapine and prn ap’s

5 Likes

If I get 11 hours of sleep regularly, even while on no medication, all of my psychosis symptoms just go away and I’m pretty much just a normal person.

Unfortunately the world we live in doesn’t really allow for me to get 11 hours of sleep every day. I genuinely believe that if I was able to maintain this I would not need meds at all.

6 Likes

I sleep about 9hrs a night, sometimes also take a nap in the afternoon, but not every day. My symptoms don’t come back even if I sleep less, but I prefer waking up naturally, without the alarm clock.

4 Likes

during my severe psychoses and over dosed aps and prns i slept 18 - 20 hours a day

now on the meds im on i sleep between 10-12 hours

with this im able to get up early if i have an appointment or something to do

recently ive been having a hard time so sleep has been broken making me tired during the day

so been taking naps during the day

2 Likes

I sleep about 12 hours a day normally. I’m on Abilify.

2 Likes

I sleep about eight to ten hours a night. rarely nap…messes with me if I do. at one time when I was in the depths of suicidal depression I stayed in bed except for bathroom breaks and eating…horrible…glad that’s behind me.

1 Like

I used to sleep all the time before medication. Idk if it’s the meds making me sleep less or what but I wish I could sleep more.

I lay in bed for about 8-9 hours but can only sleep maybe 4 of those. I wake up too easily.

1 Like

@bittercat, I used to sleep a lot until meds too. It doesn’t seem like that’s common here.

2 Likes

It seems so. Funny how meds affect people differently. Assuming it’s the meds anyway.

2 Likes

I sleep ten hours a night and have done that my whole life. There have been times I got more or less sleep but usually it’s ten hours.

2 Likes

No, I have really bad insomnia. Seroquel has been the only thing that lets me sleep. I haven’t taken a mid day nap in like a year.

2 Likes

I sleep 12 hours, but some days i dont when i need to be somewhere.

2 Likes

I sleep 12 hours most nights.
Ive tried being strict with myself and limiting it to ten hours and I just always wanted to nap. I even fell asleep on a bus once that nearly took me the wrong way after it finished its route. After that experience I decided against being strict and just let myself get whatever sleep I want.

The tricky part for me was going to bed to be able to keep a routine. My sleep cycle would veer into upside down territory a lot. In the last few years (my 30s) I find it lots easier though to go to bed as my body gets more tired from the day and I have less anxiety to keep me awake.

2 Likes

About five or six hours on latuda but that’s not enough for me.

I take imovane but that doesn’t keep me sleeping…

I want to sleep ten to twelve hours a night atleast.

I remember olanzapine being a big sedating.
Did make me gain thirty kg but it was probably a good medication for me otherwise.

2 Likes

I sleep more now. Used to get by on 5 hours a night. I take Geodon and more. Need 9 to 10 now.

4 Likes

What makes you sleep :zzz: more?

1 Like