Schizophrenia.com

Do we really have dementia?

maybe we all really have dementia, not Sz
if we’re short on acetycholine, it can also be called dementia

1 Like

My father was Dx’d with dementia, we buried him last year.
Do those with SZ get Dementia too?

i’m reading about both, and I’m struggling to understand the difference, they sound quite similar

Hi csummers. I don’t know if schizophrenics get it MORE than any other group. But I’m sure even if we don’t we are still at risk as anybody else.

I just wonder since I’m Dx’d SZ and my Dad was Dx’d with Dementia if my chances of developing Dementia are greater than someone not Dx’d with SZ.

i think your probability is higher, to me, there’s many similarities between the two Dx’s, but it would seem odd to Dx a 20 year old with dementia.

i think i have dementia when it flares, more than the Sz. but then perhaps that is the difference, dementia is rather permanenet once it hits, I believe.

sorry, what was the question again?..by the way , where am i !?!
who are you !?!
why is there a giant bunny on the sofa !?!
take care

4 Likes

Sorry :frowning: maybe u should read a book if itll help? If u do see a giant bunny

1 Like

My Father had Alzheimer’s. Is that dementia-related. He turned violent in his late eighties and hit my Mother on the head with a hatchet. Eek.

wow… my aunt had dementia, threw a chair at the nurse!

Dementia can come from any disease.blood sugar strokes oxygen level alcohol can cause dementia. If you can improve the physical problem you may improve the dementia. They say Alzheimer’s is different from dementia. You get worse with alzheimers

yes, all these diseases are different physically, like alz has plaque in the brain, but the symptoms are very similar, like paranoia, hallucinations and confusion.

They need to point you toward the Memory Clinic…

1 Like

I’ve heard that older people with SZ often develop dementia.

Dementia is not a specific disease.
It’s an overall term that describes a wide range of symptoms associated with a decline in memory or other thinking skills severe enough to reduce a person’s ability to perform everyday activities.
Alzheimer’s disease accounts for 60 to 80 percent of cases.
Vascular dementia, which occurs after a stroke, is the second most common dementia type.
But there are many other conditions that can cause symptoms of dementia, including some that are reversible, such as thyroid problems and vitamin deficiencies.

Dementia is often incorrectly referred to as “senility” or “senile dementia,” which reflects the formerly widespread but incorrect belief that serious mental decline is a normal part of aging.

Here is an excellent link that helped my family deal with my Dad’s Dementia/Alzheimer.

2 Likes