Alzheimer's and Schizophrenia share a common link

According to a recent study, both Alzheimer’s and Schizophrenia seem to develop in the same part of the brain. People suffering from Schizophrenia are more likely to develop Alzheimer’s later in their life.

4 Likes

grrreat. More crap to look forward to.

2 Likes

This kind of hits home for me, my mom suffers from mild Alzheimer’s - yeah more crap to look forward to :frowning:

1 Like

3 Likes

From what I understand, more is known about Alzheimer’s than SZ. Last time I saw a documentary on Alzheimer’s, they said it was caused by “twisted proteins” that leads to toxicity, killing brain cells/synapses.

SZ on the otherhand…nobody knows. Brain hormones or neural wiring problems maybe?..

2 Likes

I agree, there is little understanding of schizophrenia, even among scientists and medical professionals, especially compared to other brain illnesses like Alzheimer’s

1 Like

I’m sz. My mom died of alzheimers and my dad died of a disease like alzheimers. Actually, I was hoping to get a quicker death. The long slow deterioration of alzheimers doesn’t appeal to me.

3 Likes

Alzheimers seems like your brain is slowly erasing itself-and in sz, like someone took the brain apart and just put it together any old way.

2 Likes

My father died last year from alzheimers. I feel like I’m going down that same road. Hard to tell because of the SZ already onboard.

2 Likes

Sorry about your father!
Is it possible to have both? Not sure, but I don`t think so.

1 Like

I thought I read if you have SZ and a parent with Alzheimer, the chances of you getting Az is much higher. I haven’t heard much news lately due to caring for my mom.

1 Like

I really don`t know.
All I can say is I never heard of it. I have a LOT of relatives that have had alzheimers, but no mental illness…

1 Like

I came across an article before saying a lot of schizophrenics developed dementia later in their lives. I was alarmed. To avoid dementia, I practice reading and writing to get my brian exercised. I hope the members on this forum excise their brains too.

I feel like my brain was damaged in my episode.