Do they even use the term “ nervous breakdown” anymore?

I haven’t heard anyone say that in years.

1 Like

i use it as a euphemism for psychosis at times

1 Like

It was just going out of favor over here in the 1990’s when I first ran into the mental health system. Even then I had a depressive break but some did use it.

1 Like

I still refer to my experience as a nervous breakdown. Or meltdown, whatever you want to call it

2 Likes

Wow, did you spell euphemism without spellcheck? That’s impressive.

3 Likes

I know right.

I had to double check once I posted that post that I was using the word correctly :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Isnt that neurosis? I think thats also out of date in north america.

1 Like

I think nowadays they have a specialized term for everything. What use to be a “nervous breakdown” is now broken down into several different conditions.

3 Likes

I feel like I’ve had nervous breakdowns before. I consider it to be when I get so stressed out I start freaking out and crying and yelling. I don’t know what other people consider it.

I think the technical term for that is “having a fit” :rofl:

I honestly don’t think I’ve ever had one of those now that I think about it. :thinking:

At least not as an adult.

3 Likes

sorry leafy that was a typo 1234567890

2 Likes

Nah they havent used that term in MH circles in the Uk for years.

They prefer the term psychotic episode.

Which frankly, i think sounds worse.

1 Like

I think that was what I had when I had my mental breakdown

Schizophrenia and all r just flowery terms

Do I give a crap about life or these mental problems

No, haven’t heard it used in a long time

1 Like

Some people call that ‘meltdowns’

2 Likes

My nurse told me a funny story. She trained as a psychiatric nurse for like 4 years. Dozens of placements on wards and stuff.

She studied hard learning all about different diagnosis. She sat loads of exams.

Any way on graduation day she was sat there with her professor and she turns to him and is like ‘what exactly is a nervous breakdown?!’ The professor just laughed and said he had no idea

So really I think it means it isn’t a term used much in the uk anymore

3 Likes

A term that was used several times in the early years of my being mentally ill was ‘nervous debility’

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.