Do benzos affect cognition?

Do benzos like Klonopin affect cognition?

1 Like

Do they make you slow mentally?

1 Like

That’s what I hear. But they give me zero intoxication or buzz just relief from anxiety so I wonder if it’s not as bad for someone like me. But I’ve been worried about this recently.

1 Like

Honestly idk if I have anxiety. I am not diagnosed with it but I stay in bed all day everyday idk if its fear or what. My Dr thinks its sz negative symptoms and says there is no treatment.

He referred me to a therapist thats kinda a life coach, it was useless. I am paralyzed physically.

1 Like

Sure. Some memory problems for me.

3 Likes

I understand this 100%

1 Like

Mine said the same, but he didn’t count on Ed. T. (The F.B.I.)

2 Likes

It’s generally accepted that long-term benzo use can contribute to, if not trigger, cognitive decline. I have run across some articles challenging this claim, but that’s the general consensus.

3 Likes

Someone I know who has been taking benzos seems to be showing short term memory loss. He has been taking it for few decades now though.

Clonazepam numbs anxiety without sedating you as much. So it can have effect on cognition over time.

What are you taking it for?

1 Like

Thats a benzodiazepine too.

2 Likes

It’s the same thing as klonopin

3 Likes

No definitely not. I’m on several different benzo’s and all maximum dose. They keep me together regarding my nerves etc. And help me sleep.
Best thing since sliced bread !! x

4 Likes

Yes they do, in the 1940’s there was a stamp that said, “Do not operate heavy machinery while under the effect of”

2 Likes

I’ve been on 1.5mg of clonazepam (Klonopin) for about 11 months now. Here is how it affects me…

1. Really great at inducing sleep (I take it for insomnia)
  2. First several months I felt very tranquilized all the time, but that eventually wore off, now I feel fine.
  3. My sex drive has been diminished, Doesn’t matter since women don’t like schizos.
  4. My cognition is no different. I did an intelligence test a month ago that @firemonkey mentioned and landed in the 97th percentile
  5. My memory seems the same as it always has.
  6. I’m highly functional at work.
  7. The downside is that at this point I am dependent on it.

All told its been great. The potential long term consequences of being on it are another story. I’m hoping my insomnia goes away within the next year so I can begin the process of tapering of clonazepam.

6 Likes

Good luck with that!

1 Like

They’re known to slow reaction times.

4 Likes

I am sleepy all day and sleep a lot so I think benzos will only make this worse anyways. I need the opposite, a stimulant.

2 Likes

When people said taking a klonopin is like drinking a shot of alcohol. I thought they were just saying that crazy talk I tell ya. To me, benzos feel way different than alcohol and don’t get me intoxicated like alcohol did. Klonopin and Valium-good meds. No recreational value.

2 Likes

I’m a delivery driver and I have to be alert at all times.Bad drivers, pedestrians, school children, etc… It doesn’t affect my reaction time at all, but I know it can affect some people that way.

It doesn’t make me sleepy at all. I take it 1/2 hour before bed. It just induces sleep meaning it makes me fall asleep. but during the day I feel fine, not sleepy. Even after taking it I don’t feel sleepy, but when I go to bed it allows me to fall asleep.

2 Likes