Disability or Working

I work. Today my company had a barbeque for us. About three management and about 8 or 9 employees. I can’t say it went successfully but there were some good moments.

My supervisor was at the grill cooking hamburgers and sausage and I was across the patio talking to a co-worker. My supervisor yelled across the patio asking me what kind of cheese I wanted on my hamburger. I yelled back, “Whatever’s cheapest”. And several peoole laughed (in a good way).

What I said didn’t even make sense but the guy who I was talking to gave me a funny look because I had only worked with him briefly and he had neve seen that side of me.
He was kind of looking at me like, “Hey, you have been holding out on me, I didn’t know you were funny.” There were a few other good moments.

3 Likes

my long term plan will be getting back to work, I’m fit to work, and thanks to some of the people here for the advise you gave me about getting back to work…!

2 Likes

I’m on disability and working part time in retail. I was unemployed for a long time but I got help from a local company that specializes in helping people both disabled and new to the country to find employment.

Been working at this retail place one or twice a week since May 2017. Things have been a bit better for me recently so after considering for a while I changed my availability to 3 days a week but it seems there aren’t enough shifts to go around now.

2 Likes

Dunno if I’m rdy to work. Not sure if it will balance well to work part time and partial disability. I was thinking if I go back to work it would be full time. How does it work for you guys? I would wait till being consistant but I tuned to make some moves I think.

1 Like

thats so awesome, i wish i had your life

1 Like

I’m now on disability for two years. After that I need to get checked up by the doctor again if I’m able to work. I can’t cope with the stress of working. They wrote that I might be not able to work in the future too. It’s two sides, I’m poor but I don’t need to do something else.

2 Likes

I don’t work too often. BUt ive been disabled many years. Often no one would hire me. I got a couple breaks and did good, but hard. I don’t know what i’d do if didn’t get paid- be a lazy butt or get movin’. they both scare me. I tried!

2 Likes

I get disability income… And i work part time…my job is ok, not that stressfull and it’s a small company so there isn’t a lot of people arguing… I do think of voluteering though instead of working sometimes…

2 Likes

I’ve never worked. In the first 6 months of being ill I worked for a week or so helping with the hospital library that came round the wards. With my difficulties I struggled at it. I’ve not done voluntary work since.

In 1979 there was talk of sending me to an industrial assessment centre to see what I had an aptitude for. I think,but am not sure,it was in Leicester. It would have been hard being that far away from home. I had no independent living skills. The pdoc said I was too ill to go there anyway.

The suggestion was never repeated. If I had worked it would have to been something non manual as I am very poor at such tasks. It would also have to have been something quite simple with not a lot of steps involved as I have difficulty with multi step tasks and sequencing. It would also have been hard because I am not good at using my initiative to do something else when a task is finished . It would have needed to be close to home to get to and from due to my navigational difficulties.

The best my psych notes had me down for about a decade ago was potential sheltered supported employment. Unfortunately the drive now is towards competitive employment for all deemed fit for work.

2 Likes

I work parttime and get disability on top, because I earn much less than I used to.

I’m still not sure whether the work helps or hurts or both. It makes me stressful, sometimes very much so, but it also offers me structure, social contacts, distraction and a sense of fulfillment. Sometimes I think I’m more stable when I work, because I have less time to sit around ruminating about scary stuff or lie in bed without purpose. Sometimes I think it destabilizes me, because I’m so stressed and tired that I don’t eat well or clean my house or keep up my social life well.

I’m contemplating seeking a less stressful job, one that fits my strengths and weaknesses more. I do wish to stay in a job though.

3 Likes

I am on the disability pension.

I recently moved in with family.
I walk my brothers dogs and sometimes cook dinner.
I have enough on my plate right now because I have only just moved and had to change my license interstate etc but once I have settled in I will see if I am up for any volunteer work even be it a hour a week.
Depends how I’m feeling.

Last time I volunteer worked I was very delusional and paranoid and couldn’t do it.
It was very difficult.
Even riding For disabled I thought the disabled people and staff were all against me and up to mischief etc same at other places and many delusions etc

2 Likes

Im now doing voluntary work data entry.

3 Likes

Nothing is more important than our time on earth. Not money, not popularity, not status, not possessions. However, if you find you’re in a position to add employment to your time, this is what’s worked for me. I burn out at my job about 5 months into it, every time without fail. So I decided that I’ll only accept jobs that are seasonal. I’m a seasonal employee. I work 3-6 months once a year to supplement my SSDI. I keep my benefits, my sanity, and even my passions. I do music as a way to make money on the side. For me, the idea of “working at WalMart for the rest of my life” just killed my spirit. So I decided that I’ll work 3-6 months every year. This is how long I can stand it anyway. I hope this helps someone out there.

3 Likes

Do you work a full or part time seasonal job?

Part time. No longer than 25 hours a week. Maximum of 6 months. A different or same company each year in customer service (customer service is the revolving door of the employment world, Just be a good person and apply to all the customer service jobs in your city at one time, then pick the one that picks you) At minimum wage I make $3,000 to $6,000 in that time, enough to take a chunk off my rent and give me a few months of freedom. Then in the remaining 6-9 months of the year I am very frugal and spend my time budgeting my SSDI wisely.

2 Likes

That’s a good idea.
I get burned out very quickly as well, unfortunately.
Thinking of a life in retail kills my spirit as well.
Thanks.

Permanent disability from work long term disability and government disability as well.

I can’t go back to work. I get so jittery and nauseated even volunteering.

1 Like

There isn’t any sheltered employment options for disabled people anymore since all the Remploy centres were shut. Back in the 70s/80s people with learning disabilities who were more able often had meaningful employment in sheltered workshops doing simple repetitive work, they felt valued and it was a nice work environment to meet their friends. My foster dad worked in one. They were run by social services. Now this has stoped and people with learning disabilities spend all day in day centres doing art and crafts, basically doing the same things all the time. The only options disabled people have for work is volunteering in chantries shops sorting the donations in the back room with the job seekers who are only there as they don’t want their universal credit stopped.

1 Like

When in hospital in the late 70s and early 80s part of my treatment was working in the industrial therapy unit.

See page 4 for a brief description . Basically it was simple factory type work(you had to clock in and out) for which you were paid a pittance.

1 Like

I get SSDI. I am glad i was able to work as long as i did so i would qualify.

2 Likes